What's new

Thought my timing chain was gone but its bottom pulley rattling

GAZB

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD CTDI
My Accord had started to me a loudish ticking sound especially when on tickover but cleared when revving the engine up , I first thought it was my timing chain on it way out so I gave it an oil change and it seemed quieter , I drove 100 miles in it on Saturday and luckily just has I got about 3 miles from home it badly started clunking and rattling , I thought the chain had started to wear through the timing cover it was that loud , On inspection ive found it to be the bottom pulley making the clunking banging noises , will this just be a case of replacing the bottom pulley ?

You might get lucky and it'll just be the 19mm pulley bolt that's come loose ? But, to be cautious, then I guess you should take it off and look for signs of damage on the pulley, keyway, key and bolt.

Don't think the bolts come loose , it looks like the pulley has broken , it's badly wobbling

The outer part of the pulley looks to be slipping around the middle part , power steering has gone tight because of this , hopefully it will just need a new pulley

Hi just had this done at my local garage, he could only get the part from Honda(no pattern parts) Cost of Bottom pulley £285+vat, £60 to fit :unsure: