What's new

Thrust Bearing Noise after Clutch replacement

timtourer

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer i-CTDi
Hi all,

This is my first post on the new forum; I've done a quick search for similar problems, but can't see anything.

I had my diesel injection system timing chain etc replaced in May under the warranty claim that was a common topic on the old forum (thanks very much!). As my Accord had done 126k at the time and the garage had the engine and gearbox out, they replaced the clutch for me as well (at a cost). After a couple of months, I noticed a rubbing noise that seemed to be related to engine speed around idle. After a bit of playing, I found that it the noise came and went deppending on the position of the clutch pedal. Suspecting that the thrust bearing was dodgy, I rang the dealer who had done the clutch change and they stated that they had replaced the thrust bearing as a matter of course and that it was probably bedding in.

As it's a fairly minor niggle, I've pretty much ignored the noise, but with the cold weather, it seems to have gotten worse. In traffic yeaterday, the mechanical rubbing noise was audible over the radio whilst sitting in traffic with the clutch pedal depressed. My problem with taking it back to the dealer is that they're in Stoke and I'm in Swindon!

Has anybody else experienced a similar problem? or, can anybody with intimiate experience of thrust bearings on 54 plate diesel accords shed any light on if this is purely an annoyance or a potential nasty failure?

Thanks

you can tell for sure if its the thrust bearing if the noise is there in nuetral, and depressing the pedal the sound stops. (1sec delay to let it de-spin)

For me i thought mine was going out sounded really course taking off etc. But oddly completely opposite to you mine has disappeared. Maybe its a weather thing?

Was it Holdcroft Honda that fitted it?

My clutch was installed a year ago, I've never noticed the release bearing making a noise to be honest.

I had my clutch replaceed 6 months ago and no problems to report so far

only thing i experienced was when i press the clutch in about 1" a noise what appeared to be the release bearing but it went away after a few months.

You should not really be hearing any noise mate, new parts installed correctly should not generate a noise. Now are you defo sure its the bearing?