What's new

Ticking noise when clutch pressed - DMF?

bwdrew

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 I-CDTI Tourer EX
Hi everyone,

I've a 56 Accord CDTi with 89k on it.

Yesterday, at a couple of different times, I noticed that at idle, when I pressed the clutch down, there was a slightly irregular ticking noise that disappeared when the clutch was released. The thing is, it seems intermittent as while driving it today, it wasn't making the noise. Other than that, it seemed to drive fine, no apparent judder, no slipping or any other symptoms. Is it something I should be worrying about? I'm deeply worried that I might be looking at a bill for a DMF.... :(

Anyone have any ideas? Some threads seem to mention 'Faddy's thread' on this issue? Couldn't find it — could someone post a link?

Cheers,

Ben

The tell tale sign of a knackered DMF is clanking at idle, It disappears when you dip the clutch not the other way round like you have suggested. :huh:

Same thing happens on mine mate , im gonna have to get a new DMF when it gets alot worse than it is now

Hi everyone,

Right, I reckon it really is the DMF. On the way to work today, I can hear it rattling at idle without pressing on the clutch, and I can feel some properly horrible vibration through the clutch pedal if I lightly rest my foot on it. If I rev the engine at idle, it seems to disappear for a bit, but soon comes back. The clutch doesn't slip.

Can someone give me an idea of what this is going to cost? I hear someone got their clutch and DMF replaced at Howards Honda in Weston-Super-Mare (local for me) for £800, which doesn't seem too bad. Is it really worth the 300 round trip to HH for them to do it?

Any help duly appreciated!

Hi everyone,

Right, I reckon it really is the DMF. On the way to work today, I can hear it rattling at idle without pressing on the clutch, and I can feel some properly horrible vibration through the clutch pedal if I lightly rest my foot on it. If I rev the engine at idle, it seems to disappear for a bit, but soon comes back. The clutch doesn't slip.

Can someone give me an idea of what this is going to cost? I hear someone got their clutch and DMF replaced at Howards Honda in Weston-Super-Mare (local for me) for £800, which doesn't seem too bad. Is it really worth the 300 round trip to HH for them to do it?

Any help duly appreciated!

simplest answer is give them both a ring and ask for a quote, don't forget to mention the forum to HH. then make a decision on how far you want to drive etc.

The main thing is it is a dealer job IMO and is less likely to have any issues later, equally a special alignment tool is required.

There is a thread on a clutch change here, so you can see what is involved Clutch install

£800 for a clutch and DMF sounds good, considering the Honda happiness price for a clutch alone is £615, leaving £ 185 for the DMF part.

The DMF alone is circa £1000. They may have done it for £800 just for the DMF on top of the £600 clutch. Total of around £1400. They are really not cheap.

This is really interesting.

I called Howards Honda in Weston Super-Mare. DMF part alone is 725+VAT. 8.5 hours for fitting, and if I change the clutch at the same time (I may as well, since it's open) you can imagine what the total was looking like. Shepton Mallet Honda (also local) was exactly the same for the parts, (although they reckoned 8.1 hours labour).

I then decided to call Holcroft Honda to see what they would say. I spoke to Steve, and they came back with a price of £900+VAT for the DMF and clutch replacement all in! Although they are 150 miles away, I could go up, stay the night and come back for much less than going locally! Even better, we're off to North Wales for a long weekend next weekend, so I'm stopping off in Stoke on the way, leaving the Accord and picking up a courtesy car for the weekend, and then drive home on Sunday with a fixed car!

Thanks everyone for your comments and help! I really appreciate it, and so far, I heartily recommend using Holcroft Honda, no matter where in the country you are! I'll let you know how it goes once the work has been done!

Sounds like a pls buddy :lol:

This is really interesting.

I called Howards Honda in Weston Super-Mare. DMF part alone is 725+VAT. 8.5 hours for fitting, and if I change the clutch at the same time (I may as well, since it's open) you can imagine what the total was looking like. Shepton Mallet Honda (also local) was exactly the same for the parts, (although they reckoned 8.1 hours labour).

I then decided to call Holcroft Honda to see what they would say. I spoke to Steve, and they came back with a price of £900+VAT for the DMF and clutch replacement all in! Although they are 150 miles away, I could go up, stay the night and come back for much less than going locally! Even better, we're off to North Wales for a long weekend next weekend, so I'm stopping off in Stoke on the way, leaving the Accord and picking up a courtesy car for the weekend, and then drive home on Sunday with a fixed car!

Thanks everyone for your comments and help! I really appreciate it, and so far, I heartily recommend using Holcroft Honda, no matter where in the country you are! I'll let you know how it goes once the work has been done!

Sounds like a good result,

Hope all goes well for you, and have a great weekend away