What's new

time to replace my driveshafts

serumaphex

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Type-S
hi all,

had some issues a while ago, with the whole car shaking when accelerating, puzzled me for a while to know what it actually was, tho i figured it was something in the drivetrain. Gradually it was getting worse so finally went to the local main dealer and they confirmed it was the driveshafts worn. The quote they gave me was a shocker £330 per corner + VAT just for the part.
The guy said "theres no way of telling which side is worn" so suggested doing both sides. Im not sure thats accurate tho???
However, i ve got a guy lined up to do the work, i just need to buy the parts. Any suggestions as to where? are there any alternatives other than the genuine honda part?

Additionally, i had a wee accident on the ice over xmas and need my drivers side headlight unit replacing as its cracked and condensating up, so id probably get this too

cheers
mike

yes the driveshafts from Honda are expensive :( have you tried places like www.cvjoints.co.uk I've not tried them but some have. Or have you tried Holdcroft Honda our affiliate?

With newer cars generally it is difficult to tell which side is gone. gone are the days when you can feel a loose wheel bearing etc. In modern cars if you can actually FEEL things like a loose wheel bearing or worn drive shaft, you will have already had MAJOR driveability issues

my suggestion would be to try replacing the n/s shaft first as imo thats the one that usually goes at least in the diesel anyway. Then try the other side, as most likely its only one end thats gone.

thanks al, i wouldnt say it feels major at the moment, the honda technician who drove it said its far from the worse he's dealt with, he was telling me about this one accord where he was driving it on roundabaout at 20mph and struggled to keep control of it! He reckoned i could get away with another 12months but it would get alot worse. He was telling me about it being more of a common issue with the diesel accords rather than petrol. Anyway iv sent an enquiry to cvjoints.co.uk, so il see what they come back with. Il give holdcroft a call at lunchtime to see what they can offer. Salim, if i can get the parts at a low enough price i may just get them both replaced anyway whilst the car is on the ramp.

Any ideas on the headlights? I was reading another thread on here regarding silica gel beads that may alleviate the issue temporarily, never thought of that haha.

Mike

When I replaced my driveshafts (done before Christmas) went to car breakers. Go to one of the search websites. Put in all the required info, it gets sent off to the breakers. Got a fair few calls and emails back. Picked up the Passenger side driveshaft for £47.00 delivered. The drivers side and intermediate shaft was £150 delivered (05 Accord Diesel).

Hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply B)

When I replaced my driveshafts (done before Christmas) went to car breakers. Go to one of the search websites. Put in all the required info, it gets sent off to the breakers. Got a fair few calls and emails back. Picked up the Passenger side driveshaft for £47.00 delivered. The drivers side and intermediate shaft was £150 delivered (05 Accord Diesel).

Hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply B)

thats a cracking price, i hope i can get similar deal. I was told by one scrapyard owner how he loves getting honda's in as he can sell nearly every bit of it guaranteed. Ive already popped my detail into cvjoints, so hopefully will get something back :)

heel toe auto have started to do driveshafts, these standard spec ones go for $300 for both. Although you can get spoon ones for $950 a set :lol:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/HT-Spec-Replacement-Axle-Shaft-NEW-NO-CORE-2004-2008-Acura-TSX-CL9-all-Auto-and-Manual-Right-and-Left-pr-63544.html

hi all,

had some issues a while ago, with the whole car shaking when accelerating, puzzled me for a while to know what it actually was, tho i figured it was something in the drivetrain. Gradually it was getting worse so finally went to the local main dealer and they confirmed it was the driveshafts worn. The quote they gave me was a shocker £330 per corner + VAT just for the part.
The guy said "theres no way of telling which side is worn" so suggested doing both sides. Im not sure thats accurate tho???
However, i ve got a guy lined up to do the work, i just need to buy the parts. Any suggestions as to where? are there any alternatives other than the genuine honda part?

Additionally, i had a wee accident on the ice over xmas and need my drivers side headlight unit replacing as its cracked and condensating up, so id probably get this too

cheers
mike

ouch - Been there, done that. Had to replace my driver's side one last year - turned out to be the bearing ***embly. Bought an orig part and got my local garage to fit the part - saved myself a shed load of cash in labour. Mind you the part wasn't exactly cheap.

Simon

ouch - Been there, done that. Had to replace my driver's side one last year - turned out to be the bearing ***embly. Bought an orig part and got my local garage to fit the part - saved myself a shed load of cash in labour. Mind you the part wasn't exactly cheap.

Simon

ive had a price of £90 for a used drivers full ***embly off 41k car, so i think its worth trying it out....maybe???

Hi guys, my first post on this website(I was with Accordr before) I've got the same problem is it the driver side CV joint that

is causing the problem, Because I asked a mechanic the symptoms of a faulty driveshaft and without driving the car he

told me what problems the driver will be experiencing which was very impressive.

Thanks

You will find it impossible to source the part other than Honda I looked for ages. The only cheap option is refurbished driveshaft but do your homework first.

You can source used and new non oem parts easily.

I was told the inner cup of the driveshaft goes on the diesel, my mechanic changed a few and stripped one down to see.

Hi guys, my first post on this website(I was with Accordr before) I've got the same problem is it the driver side CV joint that

is causing the problem, Because I asked a mechanic the symptoms of a faulty driveshaft and without driving the car he

told me what problems the driver will be experiencing which was very impressive.

Thanks

Hi Rasib, and welcome to TA :)

in answer to your Q, im not sure which side it is, i was told there was no real way of telling??? but im told its more likely to be the drivers side. Out of interest Rasib, what did the mechanic say the typical symptoms would be?

Salim, I was nattering to a honda mechanic and he said with mine its probs like to be the shaft has bowed slightly (i guess maybe due to torque over time from excessive acceleration???) hence i feel the shaking, it makes sense thinking about it. Maybe another more mechanically minded member can offer another explanation

ive had a price of £90 for a used drivers full ***embly off 41k car, so i think its worth trying it out....maybe???

Mike In my case it turning out to be the bearing (if you look up lings honda original parts) they have uploaded the workshop manual showing all the parts. The tricky thing is this...it could either be the big bearing ***embly or the shaft itself that is defective. The ***embly isn't that much cheaper than the whole part fully ***embled!! I bought the drive shaft + half shaft as I didn't know what was broken. Took the whole lot to my local trusted garage who fitted the part. Didn't need the half shaft, so I only got stung for rtn postage and a small restocking charge. The labour charge was half of the main agent!!! The labour charge I saved in stripping down the damaged unit and re-***embly (plus selling the old part on ebay covered the difference!) Happy was I ;)

Just to add..yes it is very hard to tell which side is gone. Gone are the days when you could tell by listening to them or wiggling them...these days tolerences are such that it is very hard to tell without dismantling it...and if you do that you might as well replace it!

Evening Gents

I am experiencing the same shaking whilst accelerating at certain stages, if this definately a driveshaft issue? And with that said will these be sufficient :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Accord-2-4-Drive-Shaft-LH-30-Cash-Back-/200580307911?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb3849bc7

Also does anyone know who i can go to to have a look into my engine light that keeps going on and off in the Coventry/Birmingham area? Regards

Just to add..yes it is very hard to tell which side is gone. Gone are the days when you could tell by listening to them or wiggling them...these days tolerences are such that it is very hard to tell without dismantling it...and if you do that you might as well replace it!

Guz It could be a number of things, I would first try balancing by removing old weights etc.... and rotating your wheels. If that doesn't do it could be other components so get them checked. Driveshafts going are more common on the diesel, what mileage is you car on.

I had the same problem of shaking while accelerating with my 6th gen, the problem turned out to be with the nsf tyre being out of shape.

To just look at the tyre you would have never known but when put on wheel balancer it became obvious.
Anyway as the 2 rear tyres were due for replacing i opted to replace all 4,now the shaking has gone.

112,000 Miles bro, i think it could be any number of things but definately balancing etc as my dude below said could also be a possibility...