What's new

timing belt replacement question

greenhearts54

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 se exec
Hi
my wifes 2002 se executive f20b6 engine has only done 38,000 miles since new. It has not had the timing belt replaced.
I am considering putting it into my local honda dealer to get it replaced. Should i also consider getting the tensioner and water pump replaced as due to it's low mileage it would not have a lot of wear.

it should be replaced because even though the mileage is low the rubber deteriorates over time

no the pump and tensioner don't usually need changing on these cars

the balancer shaft belt should be changed along with the timing belt though and some dealers charge an extra £30 or so for this belt

it should be replaced because even though the mileage is low the rubber deteriorates over time

no the pump and tensioner don't usually need changing on these cars

the balancer shaft belt should be changed along with the timing belt though and some dealers charge an extra £30 or so for this belt

I disagree. You should change the waterpump and tensioner, as the tensioner can wear over time....Frankly, it would be silly to not change them while everything else is off.

always confusing getting conflicting advice...ask your local Honda dealer what they think if you're unsure.

When I got my belt done, the Honda dealer said they would check the water pump bearings and if it sounds rough they would let me know. I asked for a quote anyway and said it would be about £200 additional (pump, extra labour, coolant drain etc) but recommended not to do it.

I took their advice and it has been fine although I can obviously see the sense in doing the pump and tensioners as the overall cost will be less than having to revisit it again further down the line.

Theres no right or wrong answer. If the parts make it to the next service window (lets call it 7 years on the belt) then to have changed them prematurely is the wrong answer. If you don't change them and they fail then someone will tell you it was false economy to have left them on.

my waterpump became leaky after 2-3 thousands kilometers...after I looked at dealers advice... now I change everything at once, as it is the same work anyway