What's new

Timing chain 2004 accord diesel engine

joaogcvs

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord
Hello

As the ***le states I need to replace the timing chain. It is extremely costly and I have read in this forum about an extended warantee for the models of 04/05. I have read it was 125k miles or 4 years. My car is from 2004 and is under 125k miles. Is it eligible for this replacement under Honda's cost???

Thanks in advance

It's whatever comes first as with all warranties. So I'm afraid your car is far too old.

This is not acceptable. The chain should last the life of the engine. Honda acknowledges there is something wrong with its timing chains of 04-05 models, my car still is under one of the criterias. Why didnt they order a recall if they know this is a faulty part??? Why is the dealership talking to me about injectors. Am i responsible that to change a faulty part i have to incurr in extra injectors costs??? I have a cracked manifold aswell which Honda has acknowledged as a faulty part and i need to pay to change it also?? I have extremely low mileage on this car and now i have to cough up approximatelly 3k euros not even considering injectors costs?? Am i being unreasonable or is this not Honda's responsability?? Own up to your conceptiom flaws!! I am having until now a terrible Honda impression! This is ridiculous, i am penalized because i have low mileage and therefore the issue is only appearing at 90k miles. If i had done these amount of miles in 5 less yeara i would benefit from the extented warantee?? This is insane

Hahaha.

You have a 12 year old car. Why on earth would you think you're entitled to having it repaired for free, irrespective of mileage?

Honda will have expected it to have gone to the scrappers by now, and the original buyer to have purchased at least another two new cars.

Cambelts need changing because they degrade and stretch, and guess what? So do camchains.

All modern diesels with camchains suffer more premature wear than their petrol counterparts.
It's down to the contaminants in the oil from the emissions equipment, and the current trend for excessively long service intervals.
Honda are the only manufacturer that recognise the problem and offer an extended warranty period for the problem, the others refuse to admit it exists.

joaogcvs said:
This is not acceptable. The chain should last the life of the engine. Honda acknowledges there is something wrong with its timing chains of 04-05 models, my car still is under one of the criterias. Why didnt they order a recall if they know this is a faulty part??? Why is the dealership talking to me about injectors. Am i responsible that to change a faulty part i have to incurr in extra injectors costs??? I have a cracked manifold aswell which Honda has acknowledged as a faulty part and i need to pay to change it also?? I have extremely low mileage on this car and now i have to cough up approximatelly 3k euros not even considering injectors costs?? Am i being unreasonable or is this not Honda's responsability?? Own up to your conceptiom flaws!! I am having until now a terrible Honda impression! This is ridiculous, i am penalized because i have low mileage and therefore the issue is only appearing at 90k miles. If i had done these amount of miles in 5 less yeara i would benefit from the extented warantee?? This is insane
Hit the nail on the head there I think.

Pay for it to be repaired like everyone else with a 100K mile 12 year old car.

So i should completely ignore that these parts were acknowledged by Honda as faulty? Isn't it more probable that these issues arise with a 04/05 Honda Accord? Regardles of the car's age why should i pay for a structural car part which has been recognized as troublesome? Do i always need to replace the injectors when changing the timing chain or its a design conception flaw from Honda??

It's a consumable part that needs to be changed when it reaches its service limit, same as a camshaft, a piston, a clutch or a brake pad.

To expect it to last indefinitely is naive.

Injectors need to be removed from the head to remove the rocker box, the same as they would with any direct injection engine.

Due to the age of your car, ingress of moisture may have seized them to the head (blame the air for being damp if you like) so injectors may be damaged as they're removed.

joaogcvs said:
So i should completely ignore that these parts were acknowledged by Honda as faulty? Isn't it more probable that these issues arise with a 04/05 Honda Accord? Regardles of the car's age why should i pay for a structural car part which has been recognized as troublesome? Do i always need to replace the injectors when changing the timing chain or its a design conception flaw from Honda??
Yes you should.

Honda offered a goodwill gesture towards repair for premature failure. You haven't experienced a premature failure, you have experienced fair wear and tear on a 12 year old car that has done 100K miles.

Has your car got a full Honda service history?

I think the chain warranty may have been 125k miles or 7 years whichever sooner - so you're well past that unfortunately.

It may be time to cut your losses with this car and replace it. It's 12 years old so if you get this work done something else will need repairing before too long.

Mine is a 10 year old petrol and I've had to spend ages doing jobs on it this year although nothing as big as these two jobs.

I think the warranty is fair on this to be honest. In japan most cars are scraped at 10years old. I dont know of any product you buy that has 12 years warranty on moving parts.

Picking up on this a little late, I know...

I bought a 2.2 CDTi tourer in March this year. 05 plate, and 110k. Despite what I thought was thorough research before buying the car, the only information I found on line suggested how reliable they are! I didn't pick up on the timing chain faults until after I had bought it and found this forum. By which time I had realised my car had a dreadful noise coming from the timing chain area, which I thought (or perhaps with hindsight, hoped!) was either the alternator bearings or one of the pulleys. My huge school boy error was to NOT listen to the engine from outside when I was looking at the car! If I'd done that I wouldn't have bought it, but it drove fine and the noise couldn't be heard inside!

Expensive lesson, because 5 months later the engine cut out - yep, the chain had failed, effectively making the car economically unviable, since it needed a clutch and DMF anyway.

I replaced it with a 54 plate 2.0 i-vtec tourer the same spec (Executive). It's a more pleasant car to drive, and in better condition over all, so setting ***ide the expense of buying it, I have ended up better off in the long term. I personally won't touch another diesel of any description, being in the market for older, higher mileage cars, there are too many things that can go wrong and throw four figure sums at you.

I will admit, I miss the torque of the diesel, but at least I can sleep at night.

Haha. Can't see me buying another diesel either.
Just decided I'd rather drive a petrol and either for slower for similar economy, or have the performance and pay the fuel bills.
Even a good diesel doesn't feel as nice as a petrol.

Diesels are too troublesome for me and the fuel saving isn't great enough to offset against costly DPF, turbo, chain and DMF repairs. Hence why my CR-V is petrol.

Diesel owners tend to be penny-pinchers as well (lol). Which doesn't stand that well in terms of a good standard of maintenance. Something that is essential when buying a used car.

Haha. Never thought of it like that. You're probably right. Most diesels with a few miles on them are total nails.