What's new

Timing chain failing

tbourner

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Abarth 595
I've got a disconcerting diesel type noise coming from my car, mostly when cold and under load - so much that I'm annoying people now by pulling away really slowly. :D

The best way I can describe it is like pinking, I had it in an old modified petrol car that had det issues and needed colder plugs. Is it normal? As well as the pinking noise it also sounds more diesely than it ever has before - oil was changed a week ago and hasn't fixed it. The distinctive diesel rattle is there that never was before. Another possibly related issue is gearchanges from 1st to 2nd are tougher recently.
It's on 105k now but is a facelift.

Isn't there pre/double injection on these cars up to about 1500 rpm that then tapers off to counter the diesel rattle at low revs. Perhaps a fault in this area it may explain the noise? Not much help I know, I'm on the limit of my knowledge here, but it might give you something to Google.

If it sounds like a diesel then there is something not right, go see Mr Honda. Another thought when you changed the oil did you "flush" the engine? or have you got the right grade oil in. Just read the post again, I take it you changed the oil to get rid of the noise if so ignore my last sentence.

Trev can you get a vid up mate of the noise.
I have heard of the facelift accord suffering from chain problems as well

The much-discussed timing chain issues relate to pre-facelift models only. Obviously mechanical gremlins can strike any car, but it would be very unusual. Because you have the later, improved chains I don't think your covered by the 7 year/125k mile extended warranty? I'm sure Honda will confirm this either way (especially as I believe you have your car serviced by a dealer?)

As it's free and easy, I still think you should rule out a cracked manifold... when the engine is absolutely cold, get an ***istant to start it up while you look and sniff around the back of the engine for signs of smoke.

If it sounds like a diesel then there is something not right, go see Mr Honda. Another thought when you changed the oil did you "flush" the engine? or have you got the right grade oil in. Just read the post again, I take it you changed the oil to get rid of the noise if so ignore my last sentence.

It was a garage that did it when they were doing my brakes. Last time they had the car in over a year ago they were pushing to flush it but not sure if they did this time or not. I didn't actually request the oil change because of the noise it was simply because it had been 5k ish since the last one and I like to do it quite regularly - they overfilled it by (I guessed) about 400ml and I took it back the next day for them to drain it to the right level.

It was a garage that did it when they were doing my brakes. Last time they had the car in over a year ago they were pushing to flush it but not sure if they did this time or not. I didn't actually request the oil change because of the noise it was simply because it had been 5k ish since the last one and I like to do it quite regularly - they overfilled it by (I guessed) about 400ml and I took it back the next day for them to drain it to the right level.

I am ***uming that you checked the level after they had "adjusted" it?? and are you sure they are/were using the right oil.

Yeah I went into the workshop with him when he did it, still fine now just below the max and they definitely used 0w30. About 1000 miles before the change I had tyres done, the tyre place did some winter check and topped up half a litre of oil as it was low, they used 5w30 which was annoying.

You can take the engine cover off and check around injectors and stick your head down the back if you can see soot or smell burnt diesel then cracked manifold.

On part throttle the diesel does use a pre-pilot which sounds like pinking, rattle.

Also have noticed my accord has become a bit noiser since the egr delete could be that bud

Could be. It does seem to be only when cold, once it's been running for 20-30 mins it seems to go away and I feel confident booting it a bit more :D Maybe I'm just paranoid.

It had the manifold changed by Honda last year.

Could be. It does seem to be only when cold, once it's been running for 20-30 mins it seems to go away and I feel confident booting it a bit more :D Maybe I'm just paranoid.

It had the manifold changed by Honda last year.
Maybe a manifold bolt has come out?

Otherwise, as Sal said, might be an injector seal leaking - if so, then the leakage will be really obvious with the engine cover removed.

In either case wouldn't I smell fumes or diesel? No smells in cabin at any time or in engine bay.