What's new

TMC. How do you get it to work?

Pete_N

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-dtec
Hi Guys,

I know I can hear you all saying "not another TMC Thread". Have searched forum for answers but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on how to get it working. Have tried disconnecting the battery, reloading the software with a forced download but I cannot get it to work. If I go into the diagnostics and check the TMC status it just seems to cycle down the frequency scale occassionally stopping at various frequencies for about 30 seconds. Have never had any events listed and have driven all over the country and never picked up any events. The Sat Nav disk is version 3.01 which came with the car. Have tried version 3.23 but that does nothing either. Radio reception seems fine so it's unlikely to be an aerial fault.

When the TCM status does show it stopped at a frequency the signal strength varies form 8 to 2 randomly, the block count goes up sometimes to 245 or greater and then resets. It never finds a provider hence no events.

It has never worked since I bought the car last September. Is there anything else I can try?

Is there a list of radio frequencies or stations that transmit the info so I can check that the radio picks up the station?

Pete

Which after all that is probably the case - but then with TMC and the Sat Nav's inability to plot a decent route, you really are missing nothing dude. It certainly ain't worth spending any money on.

Which after all that is probably the case - but then with TMC and the Sat Nav's inability to plot a decent route, you really are missing nothing dude. It certainly ain't worth spending any money on.

I would have to say that any time I have used the sat nav it has always done a good job! It seems that lots of people on here don't seem to think much of the sat nav.

You have done everything possible to get the TMC working what you need is a second opinion from your local dealer to confirm if the Sat nav module if knackered.

I believe that there is a separate aerial connection for the TMC. Is it possible to get at the connection near the rear window or is it a case of dismantling the dash.

Is there? I thought it got its data from transmissions piggybacked onto the likes of classic FM.

Not 100% sure if there is a seperate ariel for the TMC, on the tourer it is the passenger side boot window that has the receiver on it. On the tourer you can see a plug under the boot (the panel behind the back seats) floor as I'm having exactly the same problem I've done a bit of investigating and when I unplug the plug in the boot the signal drops off even more which makes me think its not an ariel related problem I am having.

I am yet to remove the trim panels and make sure that the wires are connected to the glass ok.

The only thing I can find on Lings parts site is a RDS receiver and it shows that heading toward the passenger rear window.

If your car is a saloon I'm not sure but I suspect it'll be part of the back window.

Looks like there is a seperate TMC aerial/reciever,

There is item 1 (Feeder ***y RDS) on here http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED601&block_02=B__1121&block_03=699 which is what I unplugged and made the TMC signal worse

There is item 5 (Module Unit Main Antenna) on here http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_large_image_C50.php?block_01=17SED601&block_02=B__1600&block_03=699 which is on the drivers rear window and also item 7 (Module Unit Sub Antenna) which is on the passenger side rear window the same place as item 1 (Feeder ***y RDS) above.

I think i'll have to pull some trims off and do more investigating, does anyone know if CJ can plug his box of tricks into the car and see if that can diagnose whats up with it?

Thanks for the info Dave. I have the saloon but I am sure that I read another post on the forum somewhere that said there was an aerial connection behind the passenger side boot trim. I'll have a look at the weekend. There is something fixed under the parcel shelf but I am not sure what it is. There is a wiring loom going into each side of this box. I haven't take the cover off yet to see what it is.

Pete

Is there? I thought it got its data from transmissions piggybacked onto the likes of classic FM.

As far as I know Classic Fm is for the other TMC data provider. The Honda one uses a selection of stations around the country. Some one posted a link to a map of transmitters for the Honda TMC on the Civic Forum but you have to register to view it.

However here is more info:

Trafficmaster Completes RDS TMC Contract With Honda

CRANFIELD, England, May 12 /PRNewswire/ --

- Honda Uses Trafficmaster's Traffic Information in its Satellite Navigation Systems

Trafficmaster Plc (LSE: TFC), the UK's leading provider of real time traffic information, announces the completion of its RDS TMC (Radio Data System Traffic Message Channel) contract with major motor manufacturer, Honda Motor Europe. Trafficmaster will provide live traffic information to Honda vehicles in the UK equipped with satellite navigation systems with a TMC receiver.

This announcement marks a major breakthrough for Trafficmaster in the development of its RDS TMC programme. Honda undertook a thorough evaluation and decided to work with Trafficmaster, as its service proved to offer highly accurate and timely traffic information via the RDS TMC channel.

The National RDS TMC service offered by Trafficmaster gathers traffic data in real time from the company's established network of over 7,500 roadside nationwide sensors covering 8,000 miles of roads and is supplemented with incidental data from our partner the RAC. The data is then transmitted through the RDS bandwidth supplied by Trafficmaster's commercial radio partners - GWR Radio Group, Chrysalis Radio and Capital Radio, who together ensure that motorists across mainland Britain can receive the Trafficmaster service.

Paul Ormond Head of Press & PR at Honda said, "Honda has a culture that demands quality in both its own products and those of its suppliers. In our evaluation we concluded that the accuracy, timeliness and quality of the traffic data provided by Trafficmaster through its RDS TMC service was ideally suited to the needs of our customers. The traffic data will benefit our customers as it will be incorporated into our satellite navigation systems and used to help drivers avoid traffic jams as they are navigated to their destination."

Stuart Berman, Chief Executive, of Trafficmaster said, "Through completing this deal with Honda, Trafficmaster has obtained another important route to market for its unique traffic information. We expect RDS TMC to become an increasingly important revenue stream for Trafficmaster and will be seeking further deals with other major motor manufacturers."

About Trafficmaster

Founded in 1988, Trafficmaster Plc is the UK's leading journey management company providing high quality satellite navigation, traffic data and vehicle tracking systems.

Trafficmaster's traffic information is derived from its unique state-of-the-art network of nationwide static roadside sensors and transmitters that gather and distribute traffic data from over 8,000 miles of motorway and trunk routes. Traffic data is then delivered to the customer through a number of screen or speech-based receivers. These include a variety of in-car products and services that include its satellite navigation - Smartnav, Trafficmaster Monitor, YQsquared, Oracle and Freeway units. Traffic information can also be obtained by phoning the 1740 service, which is run in partnership with the RAC and the UK's main mobile phone operators.

The traffic data provided through Trafficmaster RDS TMC is used, in conjunction with third party satellite navigation systems, to route drivers around congestion. The data is broadcast on licensed radio networks owned by GWR Radio Group, Chrysalis Radio and Capital Radio and is provided to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) or direct to automotive manufacturers. Trafficmaster is now one of two players within this specific market.

Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of Traffic Master Plc

As you can see it uses a selection of stations from the GWR Radio group, Chrysalis Radio and Capital Radio. No mention of Classic FM.

ITIS TMC service uses Classic FM.

I haven't been able to find the names of all the possible station that transmit the data.

Pete

I've had my tourer in bits today, there is a small black unlabelled thing which is item 1 in my post above. Then I found Module Unit Sub Antenna on the same side however I've no idea which is bust and no idea how to find out apart from swapping parts so unless it can be diagnosed by Honda it'll stay broken :(

Ever get a fix for this?

My TMC used to work but has stopped since powering off the unit (to fit a reversing camera).