What's new

TMC Traffic Reports

Jimbob

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer iCTDI
I've had my facelift tourer for almost a year now and the TMC has never worked since I got it. Sometimes the TMC icon lights up green when you start the satnav up but it never lists any incidents and then eventually reverts to red.

I have heard that the problem is either a faulty receiver unit or a problem with the aerial (?). Does anyone have any more info on this issue? Have you managed to sort it out? I was hoping to get some more info on the aerial problem as I do seem to suffer from poor radio reception sometimes.

I had the TMC receiver replaced under warranty, dealer can run a check for you. Is your car still under warranty?

could you tell me what version of the Nav disc you are using?

I've never had TMC errors so not had to troubleshoot them, but I remember v3.22 had faulty firmware which caused TMC problems. Have you looked at the TMC diagnostics page to see what info there might help? If you'd like to try another disk just in case it's that I can post you one to try.

Im sure its a problem with the radio station.It was posted about this on the other site but i cant remember the details.Im sure someone here will confirm that.

The disc is 3.01. I've had a look at the TMC diagnostic page, it never seems to get any channels on the display. Ed, if you wouldn't mind letting me try another disc that'd be great.

Jamie mate im convinced its to do with the reception.Have you tried in different parts of the country and does it do the same.

I've driven the entire length of the country from the far north of scotland to lands end at various times and I've never had a single traffic report. I'd like to think I was just lucky in avoiding queues but in reality I have spent far too much of my life stationary on motorways. Surely based around Manchester and Preston where I do most of my driving, you would get a good signal. In fact thinking about it, I know that a colleague has TMC in his Vectra and that works.

Jamie i just had a look at mine and the TMC diagnostic page should look something like this.If not its what i said about you not getting a reception.Another thing you can try is disconnect the - on the batterry for 15 min.This will reset the sat nav and may correct the problem.

P100906_152423.jpg

Brett, thanks for that. I get similar figures except for the provider count which is never anything other than 0. I will try disconnecting the battery as suggested.

Good luck mate o and by the way the sat nav will ask you not to turn off the key when you try it after reconnecting the battery.it does a type of scan and reload when you turn it back on.

It's not much consolation to you, but I can confirm TMC does work, I've often had the option to re-route and in addition can browse TMC events. Try Bretts suggestion then give another disk a whirl.

There is also a second level of diagnostics built into the software that has an option to turn on TMC debugging which may be useful, though whenever I've looked at the error logs stored in the units RAM I've not been able to understand what the error codes refer too, I work with HEX all day long but I can't work out as of yet what they might mean.

Just been out to get some photos of the TMC diagnostic screen. I sat there for a couple of minutes and the frequency kept changing. Here are some shots...

06092010085.jpg

06092010084.jpg

06092010083.jpg

06092010082.jpg

06092010081.jpg

Your field strength is down at '6', mine is '9', the same as bretts, but I don't know how it scales, so how relevant down by 3 points is. You did mention radio reception is not what it should be, why not have the panels off at the back and check the aerial connection to the rear window?, especially the earth, also look very closely at the aerial itself, it may have got scratched and have a nick taken out of it. If you need any diagrams to locate any of it let me know, though probably it will when you return from your trip now...

I just looked at your pics again and see it varies down to '2' and '4', that is your problem, checking the aerial and its connections would the next move.

I put the diagnostic on this morning on the way in to work. I did see the signal strength get to 8. I think you are right though, checking the aerial would be the next step. I'll have a look in a couple of weeks when I get back from holiday. I've got the Workshop manual but if I need more help I'll send you a message. Thanks.

Agree with above it prob what i said about the reception is poor.what is the reception like on the radio when it is on.Also have you tried disconnecting the neg of the battery.

I didn't get a chance to disconnect the battery when I got home last night as the heavens opened. I'll try it in a couple of weeks after my holiday. I do wonder about the reception. Generally it is okay but there have been times when I have wondered if the signal was weaker than it should be.

Also Jamie one to beer in mind i can remember from the old site people was getting interference with the radio when the rear heater was on. i think its because it right under the aerial.

Just an update as it has been a while. I have disconnected the battery and checked the aerial connection but no problems were found and it still isn't working...well in the UK at least. Yesterday when driving back North to Calais I noticed the TMC icon go green and stay green. I had a quick play and found 3 traffic events shown on the map, so it does work, just not in the UK it seems. Not sure what the next step is as it isn't in warranty and I don't want to spend any money on it.

Just seen this thread too, sounds similar. (http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4174-tmc-the-wierdness-continues/page__view__findpost__p__49865)

Just an update as it has been a while. I have disconnected the battery and checked the aerial connection but no problems were found and it still isn't working...well in the UK at least. Yesterday when driving back North to Calais I noticed the TMC icon go green and stay green. I had a quick play and found 3 traffic events shown on the map, so it does work, just not in the UK it seems. Not sure what the next step is as it isn't in warranty and I don't want to spend any money on it.

Just seen this thread too, sounds similar. (http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4174-tmc-the-wierdness-continues/page__view__findpost__p__49865)

I am wondering is this something to do with subscribing to a service (as mentioned in me manual, ant it this thread: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/2023-tmc-whose-works/)

if so, how much is a subscription, where can I get one? Is it linked to a DVD version (as it proudly displays TMC logo on it).

Thanks

I don't think there is ever any subscription to pay for TMS. Its a free signal sent over certain radio frequencies that just needs a decoder. Unfortunately I never got mine working in my car and am no longer a Honda owner.