What's new

To change the aux Belt or not

ally

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ivtec
Hi all,

2 quick questions in relation to my Honda Accord 2006 2.0 ivtec.

There is a squealing/groan that has been coming intermittently when pulling away in low gears (1&2) at high revs. Mostly when pulling away in 1st.
I've done little trouble shooting, a few weeks ago while the car was running i sprayed tiny amounts of WD40 in the grooves of the belt :mellow: . Very little and I know I probably shouldn't have done that. The noise actually dissapeared and very faintly started to come back to original levels a couple of weeks later.

1) Is it likely it was the belt causing this or is it just my imagination? I cant help but feel its possibly the clutch on its way out, its approaching 90k
2) Is there a long/short belt on the petrol? I've noticed chat on this on other threads but not sure if it will apply to mine and how to proceed.

Thanks in advance

I dont think it is due to the weather. Ive been noticing through wet and dry for some time.
Does anyone know if its a shorter belt now on the petrol as well?

if the squealing/groan only happens when pulling away in low gears then it's nothing to do with the aux belt

never put WD40 on an aux belt, actually the opposite, such as talc powder (no joke) or nothing, if there's a noise coming from the aux belt it's known as a "dry belt" aka "delayering", it's easy to replace on the petrol cars

shorter belt only applies to early 7th gen diesels

If it happens when you let the clutch out it may be the clutch release bearing. Not uncommon and happens occasionally on mine. I'm ignoring it until it gets replaced when my clutch goes.

Thanks guys. Appreciate this.
Its just strange why the wd40 stopped the noise for a while. I might get the belt changed at some point.
Now that i think of it, if i alter the way i take my foot off the clutch, slightly slower and give more gas it bypasses the squeal. It isnt as smooth a take off but less embarrassing

Also the car is now approaching 89500 miles, i read somewhere on the forum thats approx clutch change time. Ive had the clicking in the clutch pedal for some time but know thats a common issue and not a simple fix

That seems to be the issue gone now.
OEM clutch kit from HH fitted due to clutch starting to slip under load.