What's new

Tourer 2.2 Oil Leak

scubatricky

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 2.2 Tourer Exec
Just noticed a puddle today under the Tourer, 05 Plate. It's been parked for a few days, and when I lifted the bonnet to check oil level it appears the nearside (auxiliary belt end) is sprayed with black engine oil, as if it's being picked up by the pulleys and flicked down the pulley side of the engine; it's over the abs block, washer bottle cap and drivers side headlight back.

I've debunked the engine, pressure washed it and removed the lower plastic engine protector, and inspected the underside (suspecting drain bolt or similar).

The oil appears to be coming from behind the crank pulley (large lower one on the end of the crank shaft). I'm guessing there's a big oil seal hiding behind there and it's now given up?

Main question is; Is it hard to remove this pulley and replace the seal as a DIY? If not, what can I expect to pay Honda for the privilege. I'm guessing the seal doesn't cost a great deal, but the labour will be the painful bit.

The car is on 180,000 miles, and other than this its still going strong :-( Any advice and help much appreciated. A little annoying after throwing £1300 at Holdcroft to do the clutch last year (boo hoo)

Removing the crankshaft pulley bolt is something I think you'll struggle with at home unless you've got access to a good impact wrench, either air-powered or electric. I haven't got the torque setting to hand but, if it's like most Honda engines, it will be over 300 ft.lbs.

Alan

To be honest Richard this sounds like a job for HH im afraid or at least diagnose the problem 1st.Can you get some photos up as this will help us as well.

I managed to undo a crank pulley with a breaker bar, or a more ghetto way is brace the bar on the floor, noting which way it turns etc and very briefly crank the engine to crack the nut open. You'll want to remove injection relays to prevent it from firing and make sure it'll undo not tighten!

Are you sure its the crank pulley seal, it may be a leaking sump or similar. It can be hard to find the source when it gets picked up by the belt. Was their any oil on the ground while its been parked up?

Salim, love your method of an alternative to the impact wrench! ;)

Must confess I've done something similar when trying to remove corroded alloy whhels from a car. Loosen off the wheel nuts, start it up and then move it backwards and forwards a few times until there's an almighty crack! Don't think I'd want to do it on a crankshaft pulley bolt though.

Alan

LOL @ Salim (proper desi style) :lol:

Thanks for the response folks. Took it to Blade Honda in Gloucester yesterday for a second opinion.

One of their mechanics (Mark) put it up on the ramp (I'd already taken the under tray off), and located the leak as the pulley seal.

The seal is £14 + VAT, but the labour is the painful bit. I'd be tempted to give it a go myself if I wasn't away all week and needed the car next week :-( £220 all in, including a new auxiliary belt (its saturated with oil).

Mark the mechanic was happy for me to head out to the garage to take a look with him, which was great service. I have heard no reports of Blade Honda in Gloucester (good or bad), so this is a +1 for them. The car is going in tomorrow to get the job done, and I'm getting a hire car (courtesy of my employer ;-) )

Its worth asking if they are putting in the revised shorter belt which does away with the idler pulley, I think this is standard procedure now but good to confirm.

I was abit miffed when I went into blade a while back as they didn't have a parts counter, had to order through reception desk. Was helpful with queries though.

Its worth asking if they are putting in the revised shorter belt which does away with the idler pulley, I think this is standard procedure now but good to confirm.

I was abit miffed when I went into blade a while back as they didn't have a parts counter, had to order through reception desk. Was helpful with queries though.

Yep, I noticed they have no parts counter. They're closer to me than Cribbs (by about 5 miles). Honda in Brislington (Bristol) also don't have a parts counter. Maybe it's something with the smaller showroom space?

I'll ask about the shorter belt in the morning when I drop the car off. Thanks again ;)