What's new

Tourer boot space & goodbye Accord :(

metis

Members
Reaction score
Car
08 Accord 2.4 EX
I've been looking at what to replace my 2.2idtec tourer with and want to stay in the Honda camp and was very surprised when comparing boot space, I got the tourer as I have 2 kids so want any replacement to equal the space I have, in researching what was available I found the new Civic has even more boot space than the Accord tourer!

8th Gen Accord Tourer - 406 litres with seats up

9th Gen Civic Hatch - 477 litres with seats up (With Tonneau cover)

The civic with the 1.8 petrol engine is more economical for me and more fun to drive too! It's cheaper to service/run and has more space than the Accord - it's a no brainer for me and the petrol engine will be more reliable in the long term. I just wonder if this is part of the reason the Accord sold so badly and why the UK is not getting the 9th Gen? I've driven the 1.8 Civic and was really impressed, MPG was better than my Accord iDtec for my daily commute.

The only thing I can see you get over the Civic with the Accord is build quality as it is a very well put together car with quality materials - the cabin is still a level above the civic, that said the new civic gets full leather, all the same toys as an EX and more. I'm now on the search for a 1.8 Civic EX in white!

Shame to move on from the Accord as it's a lovely car but the economics and practicalities have forced me to move on to the Civic. At least in staying with Honda!

For anyone interested there is a rare manual 2.4 iVtec Accord Tourer I looked at in Epson still for sale at an indy dealer - I was going to get that but when I researched the Civic it made my mind up.

The new Civics are nice indeed. And you're right. The 8th Gen Tourer's woefully undersized in my opinion. I was shocked. The 7th gen is just so big, you can just keep piling stuff in that boot and it swallows it up. The 8th gen looks much tighter in the show room.

I really like the Civics but, like the size and grunt of the 2.4 Accord. If I could get the same weighty feel from a Civic, I'd be tempted to jump ship in the future.

The new civic is a nice car but the only thing that lets it down is the rear lights.
But everyone like different things so best of luck with the new car.

I've only driven a Civic once and that was a good few months ago, but I thought it was terrible. Maybe I'll get another one as a courtesy car that might change my mind, would have considered one for the missus if I wasn't so unimpressed with it.

I'm waiting to see the new Civic Tourer in the flesh, that will be much larger than the Accord Tourer boot.

Civic is a bit cheaper and built in the UK.

Yep the 8th gen tourer boot isnt massive, but the bonus over the 7th gen is independent rear suspension and better styling.

Its competitive with the 3 series tourer and Merc C class estate.

Civic Tourer looks good and will be massive inside, new Seat Leon ST looks nice also.

...but the bonus over the 7th gen is independent rear suspension and better styling.

It's the same as the saloon which means only one thing: COIL OVERS ;)

Edit! Sorry, getting my gens mixed up. See post below.

Sorry man! I mean 8th Gen! 8th Gen is same as saloon and so easy to get upgrades for.

Agree the 7th looks better than the 8th though in my opinion, but much harder and more expensive to get coil overs.

7th has trailing arm, 8th has whatever it is the 8th gen saloon has.

8th gen rear is strut with wishbones and antiroll bar. Better for handling, but intrudes into the boot space a fair bit.