What's new

Tourer fuel tank is it "V" shaped?!

darrenspragg

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Diesel Tourer
HI
first full tank of diesel with my regular driving and calculated 40mpg, hoped for more but maybe i can adjust my driving?!
wot i did notice is that i got 300miles form the top half of the tank (very happy!) and 170 from the bottom! the fuel guage needle dropping visibly for lower half of guage. :-(

would have skipped fo rjoy if i'd got 600miles out of a tank! but i guess it is a bloody big car. so much nicer than my pug though and i only got mid 40's in that 2.0HDI estate.

Yes, I noticed this too. And I do think that this can be explained by the shape of the fuel tank.
Below half tank, fuel goes more quickly.

I can't remember where I read it but it's a well known trick of the car manufacturers. Apparently when fuel gauges were first put in cars they were designed to be accurate, however owners soon complained that as soon as they'd filled their cars up they be on their way to being empty. So the manufactures changed the gauges so that they read full for longer to give the impression of more miles to the gallon.

That may be an old wives tale but I kind of like it!

Logically, having more sweep of the gauge as it nears empty makes it easier to judge when to fill it up, so I suppose it does make some sense

I find that the light on mine comes on with over 10 litres left so don't think it's actually empty. I generally get 470 ish miles till the lights on so would be 550 to a tank or thereabouts

Dont forget though guys when the red light comes on in the book it says there is 2 gallons left :(
There is only 2 readings 100% correct on a fuel needle full or empty.

dont know this car yet and ran out of diesel in pug a couple of times gambling with fuel low warning light so filled up soon after it came on.
think the old wive's tale idea is a good one as this has happened in a few cars. thought i was well in when i got 300 miles on first half though - fooled me!

maybe i can creep the car up from 40mpg with some driving adjustments?

also noticed little if any engine braking in this diesel - i guess that's normal too??

don't forget that when you completely fill the tank you are also filling the pipe up to where you put the pump as well which must be at least a gallon. and as correctly pointed out you have 2.2 gallons when the fuel light comes on. when taking this in to account my fuel needle seems pretty accurate.