What's new

Tourer rear caliper bind - How can you tell?

assettt

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer EX
I've been browsing the forum ans especially issues with tourer and seems to be a common problem with the rear caliper binding. My question is, as a non technical person, how can you tell when the rear calipers are binding? Will it display on the dashboard?

No, but sometimes you can hear it, the back wheel will be hot to the touch, and it will wear the brake pads out.

There's no warning light for it. You may get a vibration from the offending wheel (you might not).

When you dip the clutch you may notice the car slowing significantly more than usual, this might be more noticeable when going down hill - the car should be speeding up when coasting but you start slowing down.

The most obvious sign is the heat from your brake discs after driving. Check the area of the wheel straight away but please please please don't do what I did and touch the disc or caliper. I had flat finger tips for a few weeks and my kids learned some new swear words.

Chock wheels with some wheel chocks .. I find bricks are good and easy to get , put car up on the jack , make sure handbrake is off .. grab rear wheel , try and turn it .. if you can't it's binding .. if you can with difficulty it's binding .. if you can spin it roond and roond .. it's not binding . Repeat for the other side .

Thanks for the reply. @ toothless drunk I particularly think your method sounds easier and more disable.

Just touch the alloy after a long journey, if it's hot they are binding, if it's mildly warm then everything should be ok.

It was the smoke pouring from mine that was the clue! Only happened the once, got away with stripping and cleaning it.

Just to add to this it might be the handbrake shoes dragging on the inside of the disc, which acts as a drum. I had to adjust mine earlier as it was catching slightly on one side and causing a slight smell.

Sounds like every same age car are now having this problem, and mine is currently have this issue..as previous relay, feel very hot from the disc of rim, with small too..