What's new

Tourer tail gate ticking timebomb...

tomblyboo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer
So I have 12 months left on my extended Honda Happiness warranty.
I've read quite a few cases of total tailgate motor failure on 7th gen Tourers like mine, which I understand Honda know about as a potential design issue and fix under warranty.

I've also heard rumours/stories of them fixing Tourer tailgates for cars out of warranty, as a 'goodwill gesture'.

I'm sitting here thinking - should I use my auto tailgate as much as possible while under warranty to see if it is going to fail and then at least get the part fixed before the warranty runs out...or should I just use it as normal and wait and see what happens, running the risk that if it fails out of warranty I might have a hefty bill or have to argue my case with Honda....

What's the story on how far out of warranty Honda have been willing to fix tourer tailgate motor failures for free? Is there a car age limit on them doing this?

I thought they tended to fail through lack of use rather than overuse?

What year's your car. I think this only affected the earlier models (pre-facelift).

What year's your car. I think this only affected the earlier models (pre-facelift).
2008 registered 7th gen. Is facelift the current shape? If so then mine is not facelift. Mine has the middle silver bar going across the front grill if that helps

Facelift 7th is yours. Current model is 8th.

They tend to go from not being used and excessive force being when being manually closed.