What's new

Tourer towbar electrics help

AquilaEagle

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 i-VTEC
Hi guys

I have a 7th Gen 2.4 tourer, with honda fitted towbar. Got a problem with the electrics.

Both indicators work ok, but brake lights, fog and tail lights not coming on the trailer. Have checked 2 trailers and had a guy out to check but he said he couldn't do anything as it's honda fitted (I think cos it was a call out he couldn't be arsed!)

Can anyone give me any clues to check, the guy that came out said it could be wired in to the ECU.

I'm no good with electrics but can check basic stuff!

Cheers

the wires from the socket in the link in #2 will probably go to an interface box hidden in the boot somewhere. Either the box is faulty, or there are fuses in it.

If it is Honda electrics fitted then from what I remember it is all plug and play. The towbar wiring will go to each rear light unit. And as Brian said there will be a black box which controls it, I can't remember which side though. It's been a long time since I've fitted one. Has the car shown any signs of a water leak in the boot?

wookie said:
If it is Honda electrics fitted then from what I remember it is all plug and play. The towbar wiring will go to each rear light unit. And as Brian said there will be a black box which controls it, I can't remember which side though. It's been a long time since I've fitted one. Has the car shown any signs of a water leak in the boot?
Thanks wookie

I had a bloke out who had all the trim out- no signs of leak in the boot anywhere. He had both rear light clusters off, and neither of us saw a black box. (He was looking for a relay unit) He did seem to give up (he'd been called out and wasn't really working and I think wanted to get home, so when he heard it was Honda fitted kind of gave up trying!) If anyone has any pics of a Honda install that would be really handy :)

If I find the black box, what should I do with it? :D

the box in this picture is a Witter, I would expect the Honda one to be similar (click to make it full size)

DSCF0396_zpscf287dae.jpg

if you find it, call out the same chap ?

The Honda boxes are located passenger side near were the filler cap is on the tourer I have full fitting instructions if that helps

ntuck86 said:
The Honda boxes are located passenger side near were the filler cap is on the tourer I have full fitting instructions if that helps
That would be awesome if you could! My email is my username at Gmail.com

ntuck86 said:

Could you please send this to me also?
my email is marius.sorgard.hansen@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Marius

I have the same box in my car, inside this box there are 6 relays that controls the lights to your trailer harness.
The box function is to "isolate" the current load your trailer give your car.

3 of my relays inside this box failed last mont so I had to replace this one. I bought a universal one from my local car part shop.
The work was quite straight forward, I used the instructions from ntuck86 so I could see how to rout my cables, Thanks :)