What's new

Trouble selecting 2nd gear

Maffro

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord 2.4 EX
Hi all,

My accord is experiencing a little bother with second gear (MT). It will go in ok but it feels a bit "clunky", more so from first to second than down-shifting but still a little iffy on the down-shift. Please god tell me this is a linkage problem or suchlike and that my gearbox isn't on the way out - I've only just bought the car :(

Obviously I know this isn't the easiest thing to diagnose without driving the car but if anyone has had the same or can offer any advice I'd be grateful

Cheers

Try changing the gearbox oil.

Honda MTF 3 is recommended but you can get cheaper stuff from the likes of eurocarparts. http://www.eurocarparts.com/manual-transmission-fluids/searchkeyword/oil

You need about 2.2 litres.

Will be changing the gearbox oil at the service in a week or two, hopefully its nothing more sinister than that. I would have thought other gears would be "notchy" if it was the oil, and that another gear would be affected if it was a worn linkage or something. If its the syncro mesh then Im going to cry. Are the 6 speed manuals quite clunky boxes when cold anyway or.....?

Edit:

Well, I took it for a spin just now and its fine so long as you dont manhandle the shifter too much. Possibly the synchro is worn a little, oil change should help a little. I dont think my gear box is about to fall to bits on me anyway - Im just a worrier, especially when it comes to things that haven't been paid in full. Definitely worse first thing in the morning when the car is cold. Think I need to chill out a bit

I had trouble getting first. I ***umed it was a linkage issue (or worse), but was surprised (and glad) to find it cleared up nicely after a routine gearbox oil change :)

It's not too difficult or expensive a job to do at home, worthwhile anyway, and can be ruled out of your list of suspects if it doesn't sort it.

Good feedback Matt this will help put our members at ease.

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback guys. Would it be worth changing the clutch fluid too? I noticed that in my wee golf ball reservoir that im only half way between the min and max... any recommendations for fluid for that?

Cheers all, thanks again