What's new

Turbo, Engine Problems after rear impact

cobanstine

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 53
Hello People

A last weekend I was involved in an accident where a third party collided in to the back of my car while I was setting off from green traffic lights. The person admitted fault and his insurance company is going to sort everything out for me.

The visual damage to my vehicle and his vehicle seemed very minimal, boot-lid a little bent and a few holes and scratches on the lower part of the back bumper also this knocked the lip off. But the impact seemed a fair bit hard. He must of been doing near 15 mph, I blacked out for a few second when I banged my head on the headrest (still feel pretty injured) and remember all my coins flying out from the coin draw on the right handside near the steering wheel.

I have a removable towbar which was detached at the time and the fixture of that must of absorbed the shock but not sure what the damage is behind the bumper

Now the vehicle was drivable so I drove home fine and did about 80 miles after and the car did seem a bit off just by the engine sound and acceleration. I noticed a slight scratching sound when I reved, I ***umed it must of been something loose around the exhaust.

But today i thought i'd take it for a drive and i noticed there was no power it hardly picked any speed and the car was giving off a lot of white smoke when i moved from stationary. It sounds very similar to other posts where the turbo has gone, also it feels like the engine is shaking when i rev the car lightly, when its not in gear.

I just wanted to know what you guys think and it seem like the problems are due to the accident. The repair people are coming on monday to collect the car.

Thanks in advance

If the exhaust was hit at the rear it could have damaged the engine mounts, which would explain the engine shaking with light revs. As for the smoke, that could be a fluid leaking onto the turbo or other hot exhaust components so I would check for any coolant, oil or power steering leaks that could have started since the crash.

The shock from the accident may have shaken loose a boost pipe connection?

As said, do check the coolant level, but white smoke from a diesel exhaust is often unburnt fuel.

Are you expecting your car to be written off?

Are you making a claim for blacking out after hitting your head off the head rest after a 15 mph rear impact?

The white smoke seems quite excessive,

Gordon - it's the last thing I want for the car to be written off, just like everyone here I've spent a lot of time caring and money on my car.I know I'll get a fraction of what I've actually spent on it after all it's a 53 plate just like yours, I've just recently got some new ep3s alloys, got them refurbished and new tyres too :(

Why do you care about a claim? are you an ambulance chaser? are you like one of those people that has been calling me all week? To be honest I've not yet decided but I can't see the relevance to my original post, so I don't understand why you are asking?

I'm not sure how fast the other driver was going, it's just an ***umption. I could be wildly wrong and the blacking out, I'm just trying to describe the situation, so it give who ever is reading the post has an idea of the intensity of the impact.

I'm just trying to understand what's gone wrong with my vehicle

##Update##: I checked coolant level seems fine. But I noticed a oil leak around the passenger side wheel arc

The turbos are fed with engine oil to keep them lubricated. As the turbo is part of the exhaust system it could have gotten a large amount of the impact. That could have caused the turbo's oil feed to leak into the turbo itself and you might be either running on engine oil as fuel (dangerous as the engine might not turn off) or it could be leaking engine oil into the hot exhaust side of the turbo which would cause a lot of white smoke. If there is a problem with the oil feed to the turbo it's not going to last very long. If you can, get the car up onto some ramps in a proper garage and look at the exhaust system front to back.

Worst case scenario is that the engine will "run away" and refuse to turn off. If that happens try and stall it by putting it into 4th gear and standing on the brake pedal as hard as you can. If that doesn't work, block the air intake with something solid that won't get sucked in like a book or a floor mat.