What's new

Turbo failed after 18 months

cobanstine

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 53
Hi All

Got a issue with my car where I believe it's turbo failure.

I was just accelerating on to the motorway and I heard a bit of a pop and saw a little cloud of smoke behind me and then i lost all boost power. There's no limp mode or any errors when i scanned with a basic Bluetooth obd.

My car makes a loud sound like a police siren and can here a slight jingly sound as well. Sometimes there a slight boost like the turbo is kicking in partially when i do try push it, other than this car starts and drives fine no smoke or anything strange other than the sound and no power. (this was all when i was driving home when the issue started)

For now i'm not driving it and other than that i been on top of the oil changes every 7K genuine parts and 0w30. My annual mileage is about 8-9k. I always leave it to idle for a few mins as well after a run

Just seems so strange that my turbo may have packed up so soon.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Have you checked to see if it's just spat a pipe off?

Normally turbo death in a diesel would have it sucking on its own oil and revving it's guts out.

Where would I be looking?

I did get a mechanic to just have a listen and he was pointing towards turbo failure but it may be worth having a more thorough look

I had this problem on my previous car a ford mondeo when it blew the boost pipe off there was absolutely no power at all the thing would not rev over 1100 rpm however when I had the loud siren noise like you have it was a very small split in the boost pipe, never had a issue with my accord like this but it may be worth checking for splits, you could get someone to rev the car and get your head under the bonnet and if you are lucky you will feel the blast of air escaping

Good luck mate