What's new

Turbo noise accord 04'

pegaz666

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord ICDTI
Hi there,
My car is 120k miles. When the engine is cold I can hear the noise from the turbine within 1,5k-2k rpm, it's not very loud but pretty easy noticeable - much louder with the window open. It almost completely disappears when the engine heats up (can't hear it even if i really want). I can hear the noise even when the car is parked (within RPM mentioned above) I have no other problems with the car/acceleration etc just that whistling on the cold engine. Is that normal or my turbo is slowly dying? Also could it be a seal/gasket in the exhaust system causing that noise? Thanks

Nothing to worry about, quite normal, just warm up gently she will do you proud. Use 0-30 fully synth and change at 6,000 instead of the 12,000, but I am sure you already do this??

Hi guys thanks for your replies. I have recorded these sounds in the morning so will post them.
I used my phone to record it. So... with the window open and phone outside it sounds like that: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88706685/turbo%20outside.mp3
Windows closed, phone lying on the dashboard: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88706685/turbo%20inside.mp3
The engine doesn't even need to reach the full working temperature - just after 5-7 min of driving I can't hear any turbo noise anymore.
I started panicking but if you have it as well then I will stop being worried that my turbine is dying.
PS, I do have castrol edge 0w-30 freshly changed.
Thanks again for all your help!

That sounds exactly like my turbo - same mileage but 55 reg. Noise goes away when the engine is warm.

It probably is due to wear and tear on the turbo or slightly generous tolerances in the bearings or whatever but as my car has been making that noise for 60,000 miles without any change i'm not particularly concerned. Its when noises change that you need to start worrying!

The turbo on these sounds odd anyway, even when warm it makes more of a low pitch noise than most turbo diesels - if it starts sounding like a bag of nails in a tumble drier then you have problems, otherwise it's 99% likely to be normal.

if it still pulls well and you don't loose oil and it doesn't smoke I wouldn't worry too much. That's my views atleast

Afteris said:
And what if sounds stays even when engine is warm?
It could be a symptom of a turbo nearing the end of its life. However, like the last 2 posters said, if your car is using much oil, isn't smoking and seems to be performing normally then I wouldn't worry about a bit of turbo noise.

I was a little worried about the same thing for quite a long time but a while ago I cleaned the intake manifold. Until then the engine runs lot quieter when cold and the turbine noise is also less noticable. Maybe it's just placebo effect but I'm pretty sure the cleaning made a significant change. Any comments?