What's new

Twitchy Speedo

TIPEX9

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
vtec-s
NO THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT MY SWIMMING TRUNKS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Basically for the last month or so ive noticed the needle on my speedo gets a bit twitchy / irratic around 60/70 mph and also down the bottom end aswell. It may have been happening longer but i just havent noticed.

Anyone have any ideas what may cause this?

Cheers guys

Can't be sure about your Accord, but on older cars twitching was a sign that the speedo cable was kinked or fraying, but I don't know if you even have a speedo cable?

Mines a 2001 1.8, Not sure where the cable will be connected though?

It would have to link the transmission to the speedo. But exactly where on the transmission, I dunno!

But I suspect you have a non-cable system, using a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) and electrical cabling... so I reckon you need to try a new VSS. Can you seen one on the Lings website?

Thanks for the help mate, never been on that site will check it out now.

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/index.php

You might have to register in order to use it. If you find what you need (whether cable or sensor) then there is a way to extract the Honda part number from the drawings by modifying the website URL. If you don't know how to do this, send me a link to the page with the Lings part numbers and I'll modify it and show you how I did it (bit difficult to explain without an example). Then you can shop around when you have the Honda PN - and probably get a discount from HH?

Jon - cheers for the info RE frayed/damaged cables causing dodgy speedo needles on older motors, you've saved me having to bother starting a thread on the Scirocco forum asking why the speedo on my Scirocco is all over the shop :lol:

Jon - cheers for the info RE frayed/damaged cables causing dodgy speedo needles on older motors, you've saved me having to bother starting a thread on the Scirocco forum asking why the speedo on my Scirocco is all over the shop :lol:
Glad to have been of accidental help! Hope you get it sorted.