Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Before your start:

Step 1 - Order a cheap eBay, knock-off Type-R Gear Knob

Step 2 - You'll need something to tidy up the end of the leather gaiter. After much googling and pondering I went for this. I have no idea what it's real purpose is for, but it works for this application.

Step 3 - Get some zip ties, some thread lock and some Brasso.

Now you're ready to go!

Normal Gear Knob:

GearStick01_zps76875248.jpg

Pull down the leather gaiter under the plastic trim at the base of the knob. You'll feel some resistance, but give it a tug, you'll hear a click as the gaiter clip detaches. Now unscrew the knob:

GearStick02_zps11666809.jpg

Here you can see the yellow plastic clip that was holding the gaiter to the knob. Now open the ashtray and tug at the trim to pull it up. Unplug the heated seat switches and set the trim to one side. Maybe give it to your 3 year old son who's keeping you company on the passenger seat :rolleyes: .

GearStick03_zps31ba82bb.jpg

Now shine up the shaft with the Brasso. Give it a good rub and up and down and then wipe away residue with a tissue ( :huh: ;) ).

GearStick04_zps3157f9fb.jpg

Now take the gaiter and with some wire cutters snip the cable tie that holds the gaiter to the plastic clip and then remove the plastic clip

GearStick05_zps7966e3da.jpg

GearStick06_zps407bbc8f.jpg

Now the tricky bit. Take the little metal ring spacer/washer thing (you might want to give this a shiny rub down with the Brasso too) and wrap the end of the gaiter around the thinner part, trying to get even folds on either side as you look down at it. Then cable tie it firmly in place. This took me about 4 attempts to get right, so be prepared to lose a few cable ties.

GearStick07_zpse46bd07c.jpg

Once in place you can tweak the fitment slightly should it not look completely even and right

GearStick08_zps57685018.jpg

Now put the gaiter trim all back in to place and it should start to make sense

GearStick09_zpsaa74037a.jpg

Now put a drop of Thread-Lock in the new gear nob to stop it working loose over time with vibrations and temperature changes.

GearStick10_zps107a2fb3.jpg

Then screw your new gear knob in place and bask in the Type-R goodness.

GearStick11_zps2b914f74.jpg

GearStick12_zpsa92ba871.jpg

I already had the Cable Ties, Brasso and Thread Lock so the total cost was under £30. On very close inspection you can maybe tell it's not an official gear knob and gaiter trim, but at a glance it's quite stylish and it certainly feels nicer to drive with.

Also, not sure if it was made this way, but when fully screwed up as tight as it would go, the gear numbers lined up correctly. Maybe this was made this way, maybe I got lucky. If yours doesn't line up, you'll need a low profile M10 nut to use as a locking/adjusting nut ensuring your knob is lined up properly.

If you have a go at this one, please post your pictures.

:)

Great stuff steve it looks great mate

I was thinking of doing this myself, but I had not found a solution to the gaiter clip swap, I have the same blue marble exec trim and gear set up.

This is exactly what I needed.

Great Write up.

Off too eBay it is then.

Thank-you :D

The only question left is do I go with a weighted gear knob for function or the ATR For all round Honda appeal? very torn as yours looks so good.

This replica Type-R knob has a little more weight to it. Doesn't make a massive difference. I plan to add a short shifter in the future. I think the combo will be spot on.

The Mrs thinks this whole gear knob thing is a waste of time right. Just takes the pee on account of being a gear knob intended for "fast" cars as she puts it with wry grin. Well yesterday morning it was 3 degrees outside, we got in the car, I went to put the car into gear and genuinely recoiled and gasped with how cold the gear knob was. We both then fell about laughing and I got an all-mighty "I told you so" :rolleyes: .

But it does look good and it's extra weight makes gear changes feel nicer. With the lowering, the weighty gear knob and the added noise from the CAI it's really shaping up as a very engaging drive. I'm loving it. Just got to get the alloys, exhaust, short-shifter and window tints done...

Just noticed, was it your turn o watch the kid, sit here.....read a map......don't touch anything lol :D

Dude you've got really little legs :lol: :lol: ;)

eBay goodies arrived, job took about half an hour thanks to this excellent DIY.

Pictures as requested: (Note Mine is a 5 speed but looks almost the same due to Executive 04 trim.)

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Oh wow! Looks suave mate. Glad you got it working so well. I'm made up that another person on the forum's got this going so quick. Awesome stuff!

Oh wow! Looks suave mate. Glad you got it working so well. I'm made up that another person on the forum's got this going so quick. Awesome stuff!

I'd been wanting to do it for ages but the gaiter clip stopped me.

Your DIY had the solution and eBay links so resistance was Futile.
Very happy with the result.

Thanks again for sharing.

Now I need to do something about the blue marble trim. maybe spay it silver to match steering wheel or vinyl wrap it (Hmmn i think somebody did CF wrap here last year )