What's new

Type S bumper on a cdti?

GavGT

Members
Reaction score
Car
E34 BMW
I know they don't fit, but has anyone tried and knows exactly why it doesn't fit? I'm handy with the fibreglass and have no problem modifying a bumper in some way if i have to, but would like a heads-up in case its been attempted before.

Thanks in advance

Gav

Hi Gav, I won't be so bold as to say it's not doable as I think someone with some basic bodywork skills can easily achieve it.

It's due to the intercooler recess on the front n/s corner. If you look at the foglight surrounds, the n/s one has an opening to allow the air intake to the intercooler. This is also why the foglight design is different.

The Type S foglights are oval shaped and designed to blend in with the Type S bumper apron..

Hi Gav, I won't be so bold as to say it's not doable as I think someone with some basic bodywork skills can easily achieve it.

It's due to the intercooler recess on the front n/s corner. If you look at the foglight surrounds, the n/s one has an opening to allow the air intake to the intercooler. This is also why the foglight design is different.

The Type S foglights are oval shaped and designed to blend in with the Type S bumper apron..

Thanks for that F6HAD! If the mounting brackets/locations are the same then it sounds doable, and i could do with replacing my bumper anyway. Thanks to a slight mishap i managed to put a hole in mine and smash the headlight washer bracket. I'd rather do something different than just patch this one up. I might start and look around for a cheap bumper then, and maybe facelift grill too :)

cool and keep us posted