What's new

Type V advice

jamesy74

Members
Reaction score
Car
Type V 2001
Hi

I'm new to this forum and have just purchased a type V 5dr hatchback manual (2001). I was just wondering if there are any specific things I need to check for as a new owner for this car, i.e. known faults etc. The car has only done 19k miles so it's not been worked much at all, but that may come with it's own issues as it's probably had a lot of short runs. It was also garaged with virtual to no use from 2011 to now. It was owned by Honda for it's first 6 months (probably a demonstrator) and the same owner from 2002 to when I bought it last week (he was 94 and gave up driving!).

Any advice appreciated!

Hi and welcome.

That is a great find.

It will needs new timing and balancer belts if they haven't been done as they deteriorate with age as well as distance.

Cliffordski said:
Hi and welcome.

That is a great find.

It will needs new timing and balancer belts if they haven't been done as they deteriorate with age as well as distance.
Thanks for the tip. I've got loads of paperwork that came with the car so I should be able to see if the timing and balancer belts have been done yet.

Appreciate the advice :)

Doubt it iwll have been done at 19k, I would get the belts done and do a full service, change all fluids.

exec said:
Doubt it iwll have been done at 19k, I would get the belts done and do a full service, change all fluids.
Thanks, I had a look and couldn't see anything in the paperwork showing the belts being replaced. I'll book it in and get them done, along with all fluids like you suggest.