What's new

TypeS vs normal clutch

Dzhedaj

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer iDTEC
I've got a 2009 Accord iDtec with 115k km on the clock and unfortunately the clutch recently started slipping in 3rd and 4th gear at ~2k rpm.
My ***umption is the flywheel will alsomost likely need a replacement. So I'm looking for some options, which would last longer... I think the TypeS clutch would be somewhat stronger, having to handle more power.
The flywheels on both TypeS and normal Accords are the same, but the clutches have different codes. What are the differences? Would the TypeS clutch fit the normal Accord? If yes, any modifications or extra parts required?
Thanks in advance.

Not sure as to your question, but welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will know more and be along shortly to help.

I've got a 2009 Accord iDtec with 115k km on the clock and unfortunately the clutch recently started slipping in 3rd and 4th gear at ~2k rpm.
My ***umption is the flywheel will alsomost likely need a replacement. So I'm looking for some options, which would last longer... I think the TypeS clutch would be somewhat stronger, having to handle more power.
The flywheels on both TypeS and normal Accords are the same, but the clutches have different codes. What are the differences? Would the TypeS clutch fit the normal Accord? If yes, any modifications or extra parts required?
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum fella
I'm sorry but don't no the answer to your question but at a guess I will say no.
It might be worth contacting a dealer to compair the 2 clutches together and see what they say.

The dealer is pretty much useless here, low competence, high prices.
So I have to rely on my own research...

Has the engine been chipped or remapped?

Often the extra power and torque makes the original clutch fail.

As the original has done 115k kms you might as well put another in, will you keep the car another 4 years?

The car is stock and hasn't been remapped. Still has the DPF as well.
Sure, I will keep the car for another 4 years or so, but the point is that if I have to change the clutch, I would rather do that and forget it, than having to revisit that a few years later. That's why I'm thinking of the Type S clutch.
It was slipping last week, but is ok this week. Will have to see what happens and how often the problem is noticeable.

Helloo all,
Did anyone manage to an answer to this question ? I have also been thinking about the typeS clutch as mine has now started slipping.

Or any alternative i can go for seen as im considering getting mapped.

Help-
Is there any model number code for the 8th gen,

For example like with the civic you have FN2, DC5 ep3 etc etc, does the accord have it, if so what is it on the 8th gen.

Yeah, CU3 would be the general code if talking by model, not exactly sure if that covers all models of 8th gen though, as the 7th gen had CL7, CL9, CN1 etc etc....

CU is the 8th gen saloon
CW the 8th gen Tourer estate

Thanks for that guys,

I just got off the phone to black diamond performance. They are the only ones willing to make me a custom clutch for the 2.2idtec, to be able to handle the torque after remap.

5paddle clutch £780+vat. Delivered in 5days.
They are designed to work with stock flywheel.

They also offer 4,5,6 paddel clutchs if anyone is intetested..... Just incase you are unsure what difference the number of paddel has on the performance. Well... In simple terms the less paddels you have the more arrgessive the clutch will feel at bitting point etc it also makes the clutch feel heavy.

I shall be getting this ordered next pay day and will keep you posted.

For the older 2.2 i-CTDi it has been determined that clutch failures are almost always due to the pressure plate losing clamping tension after the self-adjuster mechanism reached the limit of its travel and being unable to prevent the clutch slipping. Additionally, a significant remap often causes the dual mass flywheel to wear and require replacement... It is very rarely the clutch plate that fails.

If these above issues are common to the iDTEC, then fitting a paddle clutch is unlikely to result in a better clutch life, which has been found to be the case with earlier CG Motorsport offerings (which were a paddle clutch plate, but unfortunately continued to use the stock DMF and pressure plate). CG now mostly fit custom single mass flywheels and have started to supply custom pressure plates. Additionally, the paddle clutches were found to cause judder so a twin plate arrangement is now available.

Jon,

I know what you i seen a post simlr to your on a CTR forum. The probblem was CG motorsport at the time only give a custom made clutch. Where as now for about 1200quid they doing the full kit, clutch, fly wheel and pressure plate.

The price black diamond gave me a custom made 5paddal clutch and pressure plate.