What's new

Tyre advice

Vamps

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Been a while since I had front wheel drive, so, any advice on tyres please, for the front; also any thoughts on buying a couple of cheepo £60 a side, winter tyres for the winter?

Last few winters have been OK mostly, that's because I bought a 4x4 after the winters of 2009 and 2010, bound to be bad this year as back to 2 wheel drive........ :) :)

Mike for snow and ice winter tyres aint a bad shout. Some members keep a complete spare set of wheels for the winter.

Tyre wise its down to you really, personally I've had a few tyres in past. Good year eagle F1's were the worst for me especially in the snow

honestly, how fast do you drive/want to drive what type of driving do you mainly do etc, what can you afford.

I do roughly 25k a year mostly motorways, had cheapo tyres on when I brought it replaced with goodyears, great grip but where worn out on the front in 6 months, then changed to a cheapo £60.00 a side , as that is all I could afford, grip is slightly reduced but still plenty good enough to throw into corners and not be worried, not as good in the wet but they have been on over a year now and should do a couple more months.

On winter tyres I use Dunlop and been great for me as always get snow in the hills with work in winter.

I know people sticking to the book say always get all four corners, I never have, only the fronts and you should see some of the roads I get along and I've never had a single problem. You need to be sensible though and not drive like a nutter and you'll be fine.

Normal summer tyres I find different makes sometime suit different cars to me anyway.

I like Bridgestone on this car but always buy used from local tyre place with approx 6 to 7 mm without puncture repairs, normally pay about £120 a pair for 19"

I just don't see the point buying new when I trust this local place and have used them for a long time. All tyres nearly new. They say they get them from Germany as different mot laws or something not sure but they're cheap

Winter tyres on all four corners is best. As when you have to do that emergency stop, the car could spin as the different tyres will grip differently.

^This^.
Fitting winter tyres to the front only might seem OK, but can easily lead to a severe oversteer condition if/when you brake hard or need to swerve unexpectedly. I would ***ume you would then have insurance problems due to having made your car unroadworthy.

I knew people wouldn't agree but this is my view with knowing my ability and driving to conditions

I've don't this for years and drive all over the place in iffy conditions and had emergency situations and never had a single issue.

Up and down dales in very bad weather at night but as long as you drive to the conditions which means you shouldn't be doing daft speed you'll be fine in my view.

Zero accidents in 24 years of driving, depends on your driving ability possibly