What's new

Tyre weld and others

hobbes748

Members
Reaction score
Car
Diesel estate
My tourer doesn't have a spare, it's got a compressor and is supposed to have a can of tyre repair instead (but that's missing). Are there any differences between these 'get me home' temporary repair cans? I've heard some gum up your tyre so much that it can't be repaired and some that are water soluble and don't knacker your tyre so can be repaired (if the hole's in the right place). Does anybody have any recomendations?

My tourer doesn't have a spare, it's got a compressor and is supposed to have a can of tyre repair instead (but that's missing). Are there any differences between these 'get me home' temporary repair cans? I've heard some gum up your tyre so much that it can't be repaired and some that are water soluble and don't knacker your tyre so can be repaired (if the hole's in the right place). Does anybody have any recomendations?
A full size wheel will fit in a tourer so my advice is try and get a 2nd hand one or go for a space saver.I don't rate the repair kits as if you have a blow out or a slice in your Tyre the kit wont work.

Buy a secondhand wheel from eBay and fit that (16" wheel definitely fits, I guess a 17" would depend on the tyre size actually fitted?). If you pull out the foam holding the latex bottle, inflator, etc, then you'll find a place for the wheel and probably the factory scissor jack (I did). All that's missing is the big screw to hold the wheel in place, but you don't really need it.

EDIT - dammit, Brett beat me to it!!! But at least I have an avatar :p

Buy a secondhand wheel from eBay and fit that (16" wheel definitely fits, I guess a 17" would depend on the tyre size actually fitted?). If you pull out the foam holding the latex bottle, inflator, etc, then you'll find a place for the wheel and probably the factory scissor jack (I did). All that's missing is the big screw to hold the wheel in place, but you don't really need it.

EDIT - dammit, Brett beat me to it!!! But at least I have an avatar :p
Jon are you using internet explorer as your web browser if so mate this is why you cant see my Avatar i think.Or it might need updating as i use firefox and its there :lol:

How strange. Yes I use IE, but until recently I could see your avatar. Maybe something to do with it being animated?

How strange. Yes I use IE, but until recently I could see your avatar. Maybe something to do with it being animated?
Jon ill start a new thread on this mate.

I got a brand new space saver on eBay for fifty quid. Honda wanted an arm and a leg for a new tin of goop, and I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it anyway.

Please excuse my ignorance here, but can I put a 16 inch space saver on the car when my wheels are 17 inch? I don't see the rear being an issue short term, but what about the front?

^ I only know because I've got that useless goop thing, no use when you run over a piece of body panel at 3am in a dark country lane, which rips your side wall open. I called the AA and they said they would charge me £150 call out because, whilst they will change a wheel for someone, they won't recover the vehicle for free if there is no spare.

It was the tyre on front left, so I swapped the front to the back, and drove 10 miles down country lanes at 5mph back to Reading (where I was working at the time), and waited outside Kwikfit for them to open (the tyre was nearly off the rim by then).

If Plod saw me, I think I would have had to wait and then call a taxi and go to Kwikfit with the wheel in the taxi. Anyway, AA was up for renewal a couple of months later, and I swapped to RAC because they will revover a car without a spare, to the nearest garage. Useful if it happens on a motorway.

The last 2 punctures I've had would not have been fixed by tyre weld or similar.

Please excuse my ignorance here, but can I put a 16 inch space saver on the car when my wheels are 17 inch? I don't see the rear being an issue short term, but what about the front?

Have you not seen the profile tyre on space savers? The tyre is huge (as in high) the rim is pretty small.

Have you not seen the profile tyre on space savers? The tyre is huge (as in high) the rim is pretty small.
Do all Accord wheels fit all Accords? I'm asking as I'm not sure - with some makes of cars you get different disk sizes so a smaller rim won't always fit over a larger disk. Plus you need the correct offset.

A full size wheel will fit in a tourer so my advice is try and get a 2nd hand one or go for a space saver.I don't rate the repair kits as if you have a blow out or a slice in your Tyre the kit wont work.

Before I aquired a spacesaver, I tried one of my penta's, however it wouldn't quite fit in the wheel well (I couldn't quite close the wheel locker lid properly!) Thought i would mention this......