What's new

Tyres - what's recommend?

ciderpig

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th EX 2.4 manual
My car has the standard (dull) 17" 5 spoke alloys with 2 x Goodride tyres on the front and 2 x "winda" tyres on the back. I'm sure the last owner put the cheapest ones possible to pass the MOT. Anyway, now I've covered about 500 miles in the car I've concluded the tyres are really bad. There's a lot of road noise above 40mph and I'm sure it's due to the **** poor tyres. They've got to go.

I had a set of 225/45/17 Hankook ventus v12 evo's on my last car and rated them highly especially in the wet and as a bonus the tread pattern looked very cool. This time the 50 profile means the prices are quite a bit higher.

Before I change them my questions are......what tyres do people here recommend? and how many miles are you getting on the fronts? I got 18K from the Hankooks on my turbo Saab.

Also...Should they be the Extra Load tyres?

Cheers
Graham

PS Very tempted by these wheels (same size just a much better design imo) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-INOVIT-FORCE-5-4-SILVER-Alloy-Wheels-fits-Honda-ACCORD-TOURER-08-ON-5x114-3/251562842668?_trksid=p5197.c100068.m2280&_trkparms=aid%3D222006%26algo%3DSIC.FITP%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140205155511%26meid%3D8150780552100771659%26pid%3D100068%26prg%3D20140205155511%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D231262041564%26clkid%3D8150842465734704902&_qi=RTM1793723

Tyre choice is all down to personal preference.... I've seen people love one tyre whereas others hated it..... Hankook are getting a bit of a name for themselves, and am I tempted to try them on my next set of tyres.

I currently am using Dunlop Sport Maxx, they're not doing it for me.... they feel soft....

I don't think they should be xl rated...

Your choice of rims should look well on the Accord.

The Hankooks I had had quite a soft side wall, made them comfy but not the tightest when it comes to spirited cornering, that didn't bother me.

I wonder if anyone else will pass comment on their current 8th gen tyres....?

I have Hankook k115 on the front. They seem fine. I forget what they/re rated at now, somthing like B/B/A I think. Quiet tyre with good wet grip. Compared to the other tyres I bought that I put on the back, they seem to not bounce and wobble going over wet man hole covers when going round bends so offer more confidence. Id buy them again but they did cost £128 a tyre.

Goodyear efficient grip are meant to be really good but were over £150 when I last looked.

I always get my wheels and tyres from here, they sell some good packages, all fitted and ready to go.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Alloy_wheels_summer.html

If your getting for new tyres, you may as well get wheels also, sell the original wheels and tyres to offset the cost.

Did have some Goodyear Excellence on my car, they were good. I have Accellera Phi now, only £60 each, to be fair they are ok for normal driving. I only get the traction control light flashing sometimes if I hammer it in the wet. Accellera is a Continental owned brand apparently.

I would like a better brand, but my budget wouldnt stretch, maybe next time.

I bought 4 Hankooks for my Prelude Vti not long before selling it (boohoo) and found them very good for the reasonable money they cost.
My Accord is on Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres all round and they seem OK - good apparent grip level and not noisy except on very bad surfaces. €140 each too, plus €14 each for fitting - that's about £125 each in real money. Must be one of the very few things in France (except wine!) that's actually cheaper than in the UK!

I put on Nexen N8000 tyres all around about 15k ago. Still going strong. Were about £85 each, fully fitted, at home! They are not brilliant sporty tyres but it is a Honda Diesel Estate for crying out loud!

+1 for Nexens. They are really underated but people are wising up. Check out the reviews online. Falkens are also a good one.