What's new

ULTRASONIC ALARM SYSTEMS

Narrowboater

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer iCTDi
I am not sure whether my Tourer is an 8th Gen or not - it is a 2008 model. However, although the car has all sorts of gizmos (Satnav, Hands free phone, Cruise, etc) it does not have an ultrasonic alarm system fitted, just the standard alarm. My local Honda dealership tells me that Honda do not have a kit to retro-fit an ultrasonic alarm. My question is, does anyone know of a kit that is suitable for the Tourer that I can buy and where from?
Thanks in advance

I thought all Accords came with a CAT1 alarm? Which includes the ultrasonic sensors - you'll see these are located in above the rear-view mirror in the lighting panel.

Hi jayok,
I thought so too, but there are no sensors in the rear view mirror lighting panel. I took the car to my local Honda dealer to have the alarm system checked out and they said there was no ultrasonic system fitted which surprised them. So, seeing as how Honda don't have a kit to retro-fit then I am stuck with trying to find a sensor kit from somewhere else. I did think of a breakers yard but although I could probably get the panel with the sensors in, the wiring must be attached all over the car which is beyond my capabilities to fit.

Well, FWIW, I definitely have one in mine. I know this because if I leave my phone in the locked car and it rings, it sets the alarm off.

You could try that simple test? Lock the car, give it 2 mins and ring your phone?

Well, I found it, see page 30 of this PDF. If your car looks like this then it's a 7th Gen.

There is a CAT1 interior and perimeter alarm on all Accords EXCEPT for the 2.0i SE and 2.2 CTDi Sport which get a perimeter only. Mines a 2.4 so I get it.

Furthermore, the dealer is right, it's not an option.

http://www.tridenthonda.co.uk/docs/brochure_accord_tourer.pdf

Your car sounds like a 7th gen so might not have this unless it's an EX model

Thanks everyone. Jayok - your link did not work but my instruction book shows two pictures of the interior light fitting, one with the 2 detectors and one without - mine is the one without. Brett, thanks, how do I find out which generation my car is? If, as you say mine is 7th Generation then that may answer the question as to why my car hasn't got the ultrasonic gear.
I come back to my original question, I realise Honda do not do a kit to retro-fit an ultrasonic system but there must be a system out there that will be a neat installation and do the job. I have e-mailed a couple of firms but no replies as yet

Hi again, Jayok - got your link to work and you are right (Don't you just hate a smartie!!!) . The list on page 30 shows that the 2.2 iCTDi Sport which is my car does not have the cat 1 system fitted. I wonder why as it would seem to be fitted to most of the other models.

Not that it's much help, but I'd imagine that Honda deemed a CAT1 as a "luxury" accessory and thus made it available only in the high trim level models.

With regards to retro-fitting a CAT1 alarm, I'm sure you could fit one in addition, but bear in mind that the immobiliser is the same on all model and that the perimeter alarm is also present. So really, you're looking to shell out for an interior alarm only. Is the CAT1 alarm a requirement of insurance of something similar? All it will detect is an unauthorised entry via a window into the cabin. If someone forces open a door (good luck if they are deadlocked) the alarm will activate.

If I lock myself in the car, my presence sets the alarm off. If I lock the car with the windows open a bit, the movement of air sets the alarm off. Surely that means it's ultrasonic right? The cabin/reading lights have a little grill thing on them on either side. Behind these are your alarm's sensors (whatever sensors they may be?). Honestly, the Accord's a well protected car. The alarm detects movement of people in the car, movement of the car itself, doors and windows and once the alarm's triggered the immobiliser kicks in and the thing can't be started.