What's new

Upper Ball Joint - Near Side - Cost to replace

Rich_1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Mk7 2.2 CTDI Tourer
All,

Just been in to Honda as my car was recalled for this faulty air bag thing. I expected them to try and sell me a new car tell me mine needs loads of work for their over-inflated labour costs! Well after resisting the former, they got me on the latter. I had noticed a small amount of 'wobble' on my steering over the past week. I had ***umed it was my tyre pressures and had planned to do them this weekend. However since being in Honda the steering wobble is now really bad and they have told me it is dangerous due to excessive play in the Upper Ball Joint on the near side. i have tried to inspect this myself but it doesn't seem obvious. However the car has £134k on the clock and they probably do need doing. I have checked the tyres btw, and all fine.

So questions:
1. Is there anything else that could be causing this 'wobble'?
2. How much would you expect this to cost to have done!? (i am ok with spanners but have ham fists and a short fuse) if there is anyone in north Essex/south Suffolk who fancies doing it or can recommend anyone in the area who can, i'd appreciate it?
3. Would you recommend having the other side done too? and the lower ball joints? i clearly want to avoid the cost if possible!
4. Is it normal for the problem to deteriorate so quickly? (only covered about 300 miles in the time i noticed it)

Honda wanted £204 for the job for one ball joint with "non Honda" parts. Or £265 for the same but with Honda parts!!

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Rich

Aftermarket arms are about £30 on eBay. There is a DIY I think by Jon G on here. Better to undo the 3 top bolts in the engine compartment and drop the entire spring/damper unit slightly to access the side bolts. Not the hardest job in the world but not nice in this wind on the driveway. If you don't fancy the job someone like Halfords Autocentres might beat Honda's quote.