What's new

Upper ball joint part no.

DazTheMe

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i Dtec
Hi,

My car just failed it's not because the front Nearside suspension arm has excessive play on upper ball joint.

Could anyone tell me the OEM part number so I can try and find a match as there seems to be alot of different results.

Mines a 2.2 idtec 2010. Much appreciated :)

So looking around I found the correct part which is great, but after searching a bit more can I presume I'd need a whole upper control arm as the ball joint only isn't removeable from the original honda arm? Or can it be pressed out?

DazTheMe said:
So looking around I found the correct part which is great, but after searching a bit more can I presume I'd need a whole upper control arm as the ball joint only isn't removeable from the original honda arm? Or can it be pressed out?
Does the Lings schematic show a separate ball joint part number, or just a part number for the whole UCA?

On the 7th gen, at least, decent aftermarket (e.g. Meyle) complete arms are so cheap it makes sense to simply forget about replacing just the ball joint.

I replaced my upper control arm last year. It's one complete piece.

It's an easy job to do, slightly tricky with the suspension dampers in the way but definitely doable.

Did mine in an afternoon.

Don't bother with getting the ball joint on its own. Much much easier getting the whole arm and as mentioned as cheap as the ball joint itself. Unless you go genuine.

Might be worth going genuine if your keeping the car a while.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks alot for the replies, had a word with my mechanic and hopefully he's willing to order the parts from a local motor factor for me at £44 each arm. Unfortunately he can't fit them until next thursday so i'll give it ago myself. Need them done before my 10 day re-test expires for my MOT, and can't have the car off the road that long as its a taxi.

accord_n22 said:
Blimey. That's pricey.
Is that for x1?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Yep, but strangely the offside is about a tenner less.

Lings prices are top Honda prices though, I'd expect Cox to be around 25% less. Holdcroft do give decent discounts to forum members as well, although more so on common service parts (in my experience) which may include the UCAs?

DazTheMe said:
It shows the boot and nut/pin as a seperate number, but the actual joint itself looks permanently attached to the control arm. (no serperate number)

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk?block_01=17TL1A01&block_02=B__2700&block_03=3564&block_05=hcr
Just to point out that those PFKL part numbers are specific to that particular dealer, if you want Honda part numbers, remove "_pfk" from the url
Thus --> https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17TL1A01&block_02=B__2700&block_03=3564&block_05=hcr

DazTheMe said:
Thanks alot for the replies, had a word with my mechanic and hopefully he's willing to order the parts from a local motor factor for me at £44 each arm. Unfortunately he can't fit them until next thursday so i'll give it ago myself. Need them done before my 10 day re-test expires for my MOT, and can't have the car off the road that long as its a taxi.
Ideally get one from a manufacturer who is an OEM supplier for a car manufacturer. There is a lot of rubbish about!

I think the parts I got were firstline brand, managed to get the nearside arm in today in the peeing rain and get my car to the garage in time for a partial retest and it went through fine.

Took way longer than I wanted but only had basic tools and nearly got beat trying to separate the joint from the knuckle? Need a bigger hammer next time :). Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Much appreciated. Now just got to wait for a dry day for the other side and I've saved myself £80 in labour

I'm about to tackle this for an mot failure. Wish I'd read this before buying just the ball joint, why do they sell them if they can't be changed?

Anyway, just ordered the complete arm . Could be worse, trying to remove the old ball joint for hours:mad:

I have things to do on mine as well but not in - temps!

I hate having to work on the car this time of year too but it's unavoidable now. Wish I had a garage. I may consider getting another mot in June so any future failure will be fixable in warmer weather.