What's new

Upper Ball Joint

accord1108

Members
Reaction score
Car
Ex 2.2 i-Dtec
Hello,
The upper ball joint on front drivers side is gone, anyone replace one of these before. A quick google im seeing people replacing teh entire control arm, can the ball joint itself be replaced on its own.

Also is it a job that is easy enough, or a lot of hassle when you go at it
Thanks

Hi Michael,

Replacing the upper control arm is pretty easy if you have some basic mechanical knowledge and are comfortable working on your car.

I recently replaced my upper control arm on my 7th gen Accord diesel and was actually pretty straight forward and enjoyable job to do.

You can buy the ball joint by itself but you would need a machine press i think to remove and attach it to your existing arm so much more involved.

The easiest way it to buy the complete arm and ball link. Obviously you can buy third party parts ranging from £30 to £60 for cheap or blueprint alternatives. genuine Honda ones are around £130 ish. I do recommend genuine Honda but all depends on how long your keeping the car for and your budget.

I created a DIY guide on Honda Karma, although it is for the 7th gen it should be pretty similar for the 8th Gen.

Hope it helps mate

http://hondakarma.com/guides/honda-accord-2003-2008-upper-control-arm-replacement.1616/

Hi Alex,
Thanks for that, you done a great write up on the job.
Do you know if honda supply just the ball joint to fit in the arm? Also on the genuine honda item, is there a circlip holding the old ball joint in the arm

Im only recently after getting this car, so far am very happy with it. I intend to hold it for the long term, so would rather use genuine honda.

Hi Alex,
Thanks for that, you done a great write up on the job.
Do you know if honda supply just the ball joint to fit in the arm? Also on the genuine honda item, is there a circlip holding the old ball joint in the arm

Im only recently after getting this car, so far am very happy with it. I intend to hold it for the long term, so would rather use genuine honda.
Your welcome, happy I could help.

I checked with coxmotorparts at the time and the ball joint is not available separately and only as a full arm.

It is only available as a ball joint if you after market.
I would advise buying the whole arm as then the pivot bushes would be new too

but it could be different with the 8th gen.
Check here on Lings website - enter your reg number and search for the explosion diagrams of the upper control arm.
The diagram should tell you if the ball link on the 8th gen is available on its own.
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/cars/oem-car-parts-diagrams.html

I dont think there was a circlip on the ball joint at all. I didnt see one. The ball joint itself was definitely pressed into the arm. There was no clips or anything keeping it there.
Definitely easier getting the arm as a whole, also worth thinking about changing the arm as a pair (i.e. both sides)

Completed this job today,no hassle at all
The one thing I also did was loosen the nut on the end of the driveshaft to let this back out of the hub,
Otherwise I was pulling the cv joint out of the driveshaft end in the gearbox when forceing the strut down
Just have to get steering alignment checked in morning

That's excellent news accord1108.
Did you buy genuine parts in the end?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Got wheel alignment checked today, and all is good with the front wheels, no readjustment required.

The rear wheels however are showing up with negative camber, about 1.3 degrees each side, the alignment shop say this inst adjustable.

I wonder what would cause this to drift away from the factory spec, and what is the spec for this?