What's new

urgent seatbelt help !

Fierycorn

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 Type-S
okay i have a major issue with my drivers side seatbelt......last week it was playing up... locking each time i pulled the seatbelt out... i had to gently pull it out then retract it then pull it out again at different angles... not it wont even pull it just locks up... i sprayed a bit of wd40 into the black box where the seatbelt goes into ( once you pull the plastic cover on the b pillar ) but still nothing.... called my local honda theyw ant 60 pounds to look at it and god knows how much to fix it...... how can i possible fix it?

oh and is anyone free today to solve this? ill buy you a beer and a tea :)

Mate it can only be the inertia reel. Personally I think any problems with safety equipment is best left to the pros, just my opinion though.

Neil

hmm true... i was just hoping it might be something easy like lots of hair stuck inside it or just a twisted belt..... looks like an expensive trip to Honda tomorrow.. i just hope he doesn't say i need to replace the complete thing lol

If there is any anomaly with seatbelts Honda are advised to change the lot. Their techs are told "Do not disassemble any part of the seat belt for any reason."

Dunno how much a new seatbelt is, but it is cheaper than a nasty injury.

Ouch, Lings list it as £243...

emailed my m8 over in the states and he says well for them acura has given its seatbelts a lifetime warrenty for the life of the car ( even if you took it apart or broke it yourself due to american safety laws ) but i highly doubt thats the case for us here

oh and btw... called southall honda he said to come in hell take it apart and have a look but itl be 60 quid.... makes you think what else southall honda listens to its bigger boss? lol

Perhaps he means to take the trim off and expose the mechanism... but then my info could be out of date also.

Someone was on a while ago and asked about the lifetime warranty - I seem to remember HUK's answer was not positive.

It'll be an expensive job at a dealers thats for sure. It till only be held in by 2 bolts, 1 at the top where the height adjuster is and 1 at the bottom where it reels up. A simple job to change.

I've found that once you start to have this sort of problem with the inertia reel (usually due to wear and tear) then is very difficult to make it work properly again.

Personally as its a safety device so I'd just change it for a new one that you know for 100% will work in an accident, rather than try to fix your old one and only be 50% sure that it will work.

£243 is expensive but it's worth it if you have an accident (but get it cheaper through HH with TA discount).

Alternatively you could buy one from a breakers but it all depends how comfortable you are with that idea, and if you do make sure you see the condition of the car it came off.

But either way fitting it yourself would be an easy job and a lot cheaper.

Ani just get it looked at mate, you can't put a price on safety mate.