What's new

Very light steering

J_VTEC

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Hi all,

I've recently had the taking done on my car and two new tyres fitted.

The tracking was off due to hitting some pretty bad potholes this winter.

The thing is this...

Since having the work done, the steering seems very light when the car is in the move, especially when moving at speed. In addition to this, the car seems to tramline more than it used to.

Any ideas what this could be? Anybody else had these issues and if so, what was the cause?

Thanks

J

Jay was this a hunter machine ?

After hitting a few potholes (who hasn't?) and a period of noticing some tramlining, I eventually scored an MoT fail. One of my front suspension upper arm ball joints had become loose, further inspection revealed that the front tyres were also wearing unevenly. The part concerned is item 5 or 6 here (depending on which side it is)... http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__2700&block_03=608 and can easily be checked by rocking the front wheel while shining a torch just above the tyre onto the balljoint (the MoT tester showed the wear to me this way). Now I have a new upper arm fitted the steering and general handling are noticeably better and no more tramlining.

Yeah, don't you just love Auto correct?

Just re reading my post, typo's all over the place! Can't be bothered editing either!

On another note, I drove my friend's Saab 9-3 Aero last night (he's just bought it) and the steering on that also felt very light, maybe it's just me!?

:-/

I would check your tyre pressures - If they are too high it will reduce the contact area and stiffen the tyre reducing the resistance with the road.

M

Is this the first set of tyres and alignment for you? maybe you have been scrubbing tyres since you got the car, now it appears to be as should be??

Hi,

No it's the second set of tyres I've had done but the first time I've had the tracking done. Maybe it's just the sensation of having new tyres?

I will check the tyre pressures though.

I just had a four wheel alignment done this morning after waiting over a week with light and very tramlining steering. Tyre pressures were perfect, brand new tyres were on the front. The guy at the garage looked up the official Honda data for alignment and he found two types for my car (2.4 with 17"), the first is for non-tramlining cars and had considerable tolerance allowances which he felt was too much and the second was for those which tramline and had a tolerance of something like 0.25. He went with the latter and now the steering is nice and tight. Not sure if this helps but it may give you something else to check out?