What's new

vibration on accelerating

trolleyjack

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord D 2.2 Exec
Have now tried 2 used honda, and one new Blueprint driveshafts to combat this shaking on acceleration.Tyres wheels balance all ok, rotated front back no change.Has to be an engine mount now as it's pulling it out of 5th gear when shaking.Have replaced upper gearbox mount no change, lower bracket to subframe is intact and snug.

Any suggestions as which to look at first, the engine twin torsion bar bushings dont look that bad I'm thinking more the lower rear teardrop one.
Given the impractical , and obscene price of new oem mounts for a 16 year old car @ 188 k mls, I have the tools to push in new bushings on the torsion and rear lower if anyone knows of a source where I could get them, otherwise it's breakers yard, given the lower wing mount on drivers side is the fluid filled type, and is in a metal casing.
Cheers TJ

What speeds are you experiencing vibration and is is floor vibration or engine ?

Hey Saj
Effect occurs between 1800 ~2000 rpm 20ish mph lower gears, 2200~ 3000 rpm 3rd 4th giving it some like on mway slip rd ,goes on deceleration of easing off of gas,some times on turning right according to my flight engineer, classic driveshaft symptoms.
Mainly front end passenger side, , tracks fine, slight pull to left but always has, there is a random vibration at stand still, sometimes from cold, some not would say dash ~rattle cabin , would not say through steering wheel though.
No wobbles on braking,pads ok, new shocks all round last year + rear coil springs, compliance bushings 18 mths ago, drivers side lower ball joint, track rod end not long ago, upper wishbone passenger front same time.All bushings around lower control arm good, anti roll bar too.
Cheers TJ

Vibration on idle normally means dual mass flywheel is gone.

Hello

I cannot tell for sure, because I don't have my own experience on diesels, but I ***ume it doesn't matter in this situation.
I tried 2 brands of inner CV joints on my CL9 and both of them gave more vibration than 140tkm old original ones. RH side (shorter) seems to give up first.
Only Honda original solves problem 100% (maybe) first joint was just really bad quality it had more slack in tripod than stock and I was suspicious from beginning and it just came out worse like I guessed. Second one was better on that side, but attachment between "middle shaft" and cup was too loose.
After I bit the bullet and bought the original one and tripod got installed different position than should to the shaft and now axle is unbalanced and gives minor shaking.

You can give original driveshaft some time putting metal plate between outer CV joint and hub, effect being it pushes shaft more towards gearbox so that bearings inside cup are against "fresh" part of cup that has no wear.

Also did all the engine mounts same time, only difference I notice that new rear was bit higher, so old one was bit tired but not leaking. Did not feel any big difference.

Thanks for all your replies

The DMF and clutch were new 43 k ago, I keep gearchanges to around 2k rpm so it does not get booted as such.

I use AUTODOC already, all the parts listed are for petrol variants cheap enough but of no use on this engine, as totally different , (guess its the price of having a mk1 of the diesel version of such an age).
Looks like the scrappers again for another used Honda drive shaft.
Cheers TJ

For what is worth, I had the same issue, vibration when accelerating hard, between 55 and 70 mph in 4/5th gears. Gone after driveshaft replacement.

Right guys, I've concluded it's one of the mounts it's obviously movement of the gearbox itself that is putting stress on the selector cable and pulling it out of cog usually motorway speeds accelerating.
Would anyone hazzard a guess , or even better knows, which of the mounts would most likely give rise to this effect ?

Cheers TJ

P.S Can anyone tell me if the two rubber stoppers in the subframe mount (50860-SEF-E000) should be equally spaced ? the one on my car has a larger gap to the rearward section, and is looking quite polished, cant find a pic of this item new anywhere on the web, nor any Honda dealer site to make a comparison.