What's new

Vibration through car at 60mph

54Tourer

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord Tourer
Hi, I am new to the forum and this is my second accord, my previous was a 2001 petrol model.

My current one is a 2004 tourer diesel model. At 60mph it suffers with vibration through the car, the problem has reduced somewhat since I carried out the following jobs

Drop links all round ( as these had play)
Rear anti roll bar D bushes
Front lower arms, both sides
Also discs and pads on the rear
4 new Goodyear efficient grip tyres

I work as a mechanic and changed everything which showed any problems, the biggest problems seemed to be the breakup of the bushes in the lower arms which was the cause of most of the vibration. It was getting to the point of being unbarable.

It has now settled down somewhat

54Tourer said:
Hi, I am new to the forum and this is my second accord, my previous was a 2001 petrol model.

My current one is a 2004 tourer diesel model. At 60mph it suffers with vibration through the car, the problem has reduced somewhat since I carried out the following jobs

I work as a mechanic and changed everything which showed any problems, the biggest problems seemed to be the breakup of the bushes in the lower arms which was the cause of most of the vibration. It was getting to the point of being unbarable.

It has now settled down somewhat
Had s problem doing this on the iPhone.

Here is the message in full

It has now settled down somewhat however at 60 it is still there slightly.

Also since moving the legs out of the way to fit the new arms it seems to have developed a occasional clunk.
It also used to clunk when moving from standstill. It still occasionally does this but not as often.

All other bushes checked for play and they are still tight. Bearings and steering links are spot on. As is ball joints.

The only thing I can come up with is cv joints, the car has been lifted and ran up to 60mph and there was no visible Bowing of the drive shafts

Any experience from the forum welcome and I hope I have explained the symptoms as best I can.

Drive-shafts - a known issue on the Diesel.

Clunk - front ARBs.

Is the drive shaft issue known to be at the inner or outer joint? I'm thinking is it worth replacing the joint or changing the whole shaft

Is the drive shaft issue known to be at the inner or outer joint? I'm thinking is it worth replacing the joint or changing the whole shaft

Could be either. Various people have replaced inner/outer, etc but in the end, the only confirmed replacement is the complete shaft. Don't use Honda as it's very expensive, there are pattern parts you can use. I can't remember or search right now, but it's been covered before.

Thanks for the links and info. I'll get the car on the lift and check the inner and outer joints. The noise seemed like it was coming from the drive side. However I could be wrong if the N/S seems to be the common fault.

The clunk I mentioned before feels like a sudden engagement, or even the drive shaft spines suddenly engaging