What's new

Voltage stabilisers

tbourner

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Abarth 595
Anyone got one fitted? Looking at something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-Voltage-Stabilizer-Regulator-Performance-/250857567879

The clever money is on them not making any difference at all, but then I've heard some people (with 4X4 diesels) who say they definitely work, so wondered if anyone here actually tried it and noticed a difference? Would be nice if someone with one fitted could get a remap and see if Fahad notices anything different as well?

I read a thread on here about grounding kits, but not much info on these stabilisers.

6% HP gains? Don't think so somehow.

Yeah I ignore the gain figures, that's just marketing for Saxo chavs, people say it feels better, starts easier etc.

OK, so I've not tried one and I'm not an auto electrician, but as an electronic engineer I'd say that IMHO if that makes ANY difference AT ALL I'll eat my own head.

Every (electronic) system on the car (where voltage stability matters) will be internally regulated.

If you have £28 quid you want rid of, send it my way and I'll buy some beer ;)

OK, so I've not tried one and I'm not an auto electrician, but as an electronic engineer I'd say that IMHO if that makes ANY difference AT ALL I'll eat my own head.

Every (electronic) system on the car (where voltage stability matters) will be internally regulated.

If you have £28 quid you want rid of, send it my way and I'll buy some beer ;)

Hence the first post. I'm an Engineer as well, have plenty of electronics friends, also know LOTS of auto engineers on other forums and they all say they can't see how it can possibly make any difference, but none of them have actually tried it.
One guy on another forum said how can you knock it if you aren't willing to give it a go, so he bought one, put it on his wifes Focus and the engine ran smoother, and their economy went from 36 to 40mpg - this was a guy who was as skeptical as everyone else but thought he'd 'prove' it didn't work. He was surprised.
He then ran it on his Mitsubishi Delica and got the same effect, started much easier and ran smoother.
Another guy told his mates at the garage about it and they thought he was taking the mick, he loaned them his Pajero for a week and they actually took the gizmo out after a couple of days, drove it for a few days more then put it back in. Both guys from the garage ended up buying these things for their own cars!

Basically, if you've never tried it how do you know?

I'm reminded of a country show I was at some time ago...

There was a stall with well dress gent selling magnets for every occasion. Arthritis, rheumatism, migraine, barking dogs, etc, etc. And one for the fuel line on your car.

He could see my eying his product suspiciously and came over for a chat.

The claims for the device were on a list as long as your arm. Increased power, easier starting, quieter running, better fuel economy to name but a few.

He didn't like my sceptical attitude, and took umbrage to the point where he became argumentative.

He produced signed endorsements from 'delighted' customers who had experienced 'all the benefits' of the system first hand, and offered a 'water tight' money back guarantee.

I countered that many other factors could easily have caused the perceived benefits experienced by his 'independent' customers. I went to to advise him that I wouldn't be parting with thirty quid based upon his anecdotal evidence and that I'd need to see some kind of double-blind study data to be convinced. Naturally he didn't have any.

I asked what the scientific mechanism for his wonder product might be, not least as it worked equally well for petrol or diesel engines.

Further, I questioned why car manufacturers, keen to out-do the competition in these key areas, wouldn't fit such an 'inexpensive device' (his words, not mine) as standard?

He started to become a little aggressive and he told me that 'people like me made him sick'. He went on to define 'people like me' as those with 'no faith in anything and always wanted proof'. I pointed out that it is precisely that attitude that had brought us the the current point of technological advancement.

My parting comment to him was that 'he was a disgrace, separating honest people from their hard earned by peddling snake oil'.

Anyhow, enough of that.

I can see that a bank of super capacitors will lower the supply impedance to a connected device, provided (crucially) they are connected right next to the device in question. A long cable run to and from the capacitor will negate any beneficial effect.

Any well designed system will have local regulation and filtering in place, especially in the electrically hash automotive environment.

A 100+ amp pull from a starter motor will drain even the largest capacitor in an instant, so I doubt it'll help there.

A reservoir at the ignition? I could see that, especially when cranking but even ancient systems employ a ballast bypass to allow for this. Electronic ignition ought to deliver the same spark under all conditions: that's the point of it.

A (local) capacitor next to an over sized audio amp plumbed with inadequate power cabling is another possibility. It would help with current transients on heavy bass notes. But I remain sceptical.

Anyhow, if I spend any more time here I'll get the rolling pin (or the frying pan -whichever is to hand). By all means get one, and post a review of how you get on. I'm sure other members would be interested.

Talking of magnets, when we moved into our house 6 years ago we had to put up with limescale, mostly noticed in our glass kettle. After about a year we got a magnet to stick round the inlet, 1 month later the glass kettle had cleaned itself!! I thought it was great but people said the same maybe it's the time of year or supplier etc.
Last year we started getting scaly kettle again, I discovered our neighbour (plumber) had removed the magnet when replacing our stopcock, he told me they were useless and didnt do anything. I bought another one the next week.

Anyhoo, I think I might buy one and see, no doubt people will just think I'm a believer and site placebo effect if it does seem to work, just wish someone else had actually tried it and could give their opinion.

Will be interesting to see Trev..

BTW, Those water magnets are largely rubbish. ca;t remember which one, but there is a product that is supposed to be better than others; can't remember which ATM.

Have one fitted to mine but cant say i noticed any difference, will probably be removed soon!

ive got a custom one on mine they do make a bit of difference runs a little smoother and you do get some power gains nothing major though Ring Hond-R if you want one made as they made mine