What's new

VSA ABS lights on AFTER a Garage visit

kasheeq8

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 Ex Diesel
Hi Everyone,

I have car insurance with Tesco and I recently made a claim to fix a no fault dent to the rear door. The got one of their recommended garages to fix the dent.

When the car came back, I noticed after a few minutes of driving the VSA (plus triangle) and ABS lights turned on.

Being plain stupid I ***umed this was due to the icy road conditions (at the time) and that it was a function of the car. The car is driving fine otherwise.

Pressing the VSA button next to the steering wheel does diddly squat. The lights turn on shortly after driving the car.

6 day on, the warning lights are still there. I have literally come off the phone from Tesco and have mentioned the above story. They are contacting the garage to schedule another booking (to my unease).

Is this mere coincidence or hanky panky at play?

Thanks.

Update:

The garage is adamant that there were no lights whilst the car was with them etc.

Have the error code read... I'd guess that if it's a controller fault, then they didn't cause it. But if it's a wheel sensor then it is possible that they've struck it in some way although - unless you can see some damage - you really can't prove this.

But I don't like coincidence as an explanation.

Have the error code read... I'd guess that if it's a controller fault, then they didn't cause it. But if it's a wheel sensor then it is possible that they've struck it in some way although - unless you can see some damage - you really can't prove this.

But I don't like coincidence as an explanation.

Thanks Jon.

Adding more description to the repair work. The rear right hand side alloy wheel/tyre was brushed by a car 2 months ago and so the garage "repaired" the alloy scrape. Is it possible the wheel sensor got moved/damaged?

I didnt enjoy the phone call with the garage estimator in the slightest :(

Guys if I carry on driving will this cause any damage to the car? As I mentioned before, the car is driving fine on the roads.

Adding more description to the repair work. The rear right hand side alloy wheel/tyre was brushed by a car 2 months ago and so the garage "repaired" the alloy scrape. Is it possible the wheel sensor got moved/damaged?
Hard to say... someone had to remove the wheel, and if it was the garage idiot doing it then he might have located the jack under a stupid place and damaged a sensor or the wiring to it?

Hard to say... someone had to remove the wheel, and if it was the garage idiot doing it then he might have located the jack under a stupid place and damaged a sensor or the wiring to it?

I need to get the error code read as a starting point and that will narrow it down.

if u will be driving like that u won't cause more damage, just ur vsa system doesn't work ;)

if u will be driving like that u won't cause more damage, just ur vsa system doesn't work ;)

Thanks.

Is it normal for the ABS light (round brackets around ABS) to be on also? Does that light mean ABS is active or it's not working?

I am looking to get the car scanned on the cheap. I hope the module is intact (or not replaced with a faulty one).

Update: Garage is treating it as a separate issue. My fault for not raising the alarm as soon as I got the car back :(

Going to local Honda dealership to book a diagnostics check.

Honda Diagnostics Check (cost 30 pounds)

"Confirmed fault ABS light on for fault to be n/s/r/wheel speed sensor (The same damaged alloy wheel/tyre which the garage "worked" on)

Will need to strip out and test sensor and check hub as well"

Ok I am now equiped with evidence that the area which the garage worked on has caused the warning lights! Back to Tesco Insurance :)

Other bits which Honda discovered:

Front wiper blades judder
Engine oil low (which I was going to replace in 400 miles)
Clutch Fluid on minimum
Passenger right hand side upper wish bone required (259 inc vat) - need to replace asap.

You'd have a pretty watertight case if you could actually see signs of damage.

That would mean paying Honda to do the thorough checks they have mentioned. I will let the case handler at Tesco to make that decision and act accordingly.

Alternatively I need an experienced person to open the wheel to check these "damages".

That would mean paying Honda to do the thorough checks they have mentioned. I will let the case handler at Tesco to make that decision and act accordingly.

Alternatively I need an experienced person to open the wheel to check these "damages".
Fair point... good luck with it.

Kash there is one good thing its not the dreaded 66.1 modulator fault.This does sound to be damaged by the repairer as they were the last people to take the wheel off.
But getting this garage to emit liability is the tricky part and not easy unless as Jon said you can find physical damage.

Kash there is one good thing its not the dreaded 66.1 modulator fault.This does sound to be damaged by the repairer as they were the last people to take the wheel off.
But getting this garage to emit liability is the tricky part and not easy unless as Jon said you can find physical damage.

Thats true Brett. I was half expecting that the modulator had been replaced, seems like the allow/tyre job was done by a novice.

On the plus side (if you can call it that), I know that I need to replace the upper wish bone (o/s/f) asap....can prove to be dangerous if it breaks.

i had my car at some mongrel garage in Leics, of course after a clutch change i had VSA,ABS lights on.

garage said no way jose etc and bla blah.

got the wheel sensor put on drivers front side and reset the edu, problem fixed.

garages are *****... a lot of them.

in fact most of them from my experience.

its no coincidence the wheel sensor was replaced on the same wheel the idiot garage in Leics had removed.

you may have a bit of a headache getting the sensor off. When mine went, I had to drill the thing out.

i had my car at some mongrel garage in Leics, of course after a clutch change i had VSA,ABS lights on.

garage said no way jose etc and bla blah.

got the wheel sensor put on drivers front side and reset the edu, problem fixed.

garages are *****... a lot of them.

in fact most of them from my experience.

its no coincidence the wheel sensor was replaced on the same wheel the idiot garage in Leics had removed.

This was an insurance repair job and I went to the insurer's "recommended" repairer. I have learned my lesson, the whole thing may end up costing me more :(

I am not going to attempt fixing the wheel sensor myself, the drilling can go wrong.

This was an insurance repair job and I went to the insurer's "recommended" repairer. I have learned my lesson, the whole thing may end up costing me more :(

I am not going to attempt fixing the wheel sensor myself, the drilling can go wrong.
It'll be cheaper to buy the sensor from the US (for an Acura TSX), whoever does the job. There's a thread somewhere about this.

I don't like having to use the insurer's approved repairer either, but I get hit by an additional 250 quid excess if I don't... this is becoming a commonplace excess, I believe.

Tesco insurance okayed their preferred garage to fix the VSA ABS issue as part of the initial repair.

I was told that a part was needing to be replaced and visit the Garage.

They have replaced "something"...think it is the wheel sensor.

On the plus side the VSA/ABS christmas lights have gone but only an exclamation mark appears when I press the VSA button. The roads were slippy this morning and even that didnt prompt the VSA/ABS lights to appear (which it did previously).

Something needed reset perhaps?

When you press the VSA button, you are turning it off. The orange triangle is warning you of this. If it disappears when you press it again, the system appears to be functioning properly. If the VSA is faulty, the orange light stays on no matter how may times you press the button.

When you press the VSA button, you are turning it off. The orange triangle is warning you of this. If it disappears when you press it again, the system appears to be functioning properly. If the VSA is faulty, the orange light stays on no matter how may times you press the button.

Thanks for the clarification montempeaux :)

So it seems the VSA issue has been resolved :)

I wonder what time would it be useful to switch off the VSA option?