What's new

VSA Warning light

I think that the VSA was an option on some of the 7th gens, but I don't know which ones.

As such, and this is only an idea based on lateral thinking, it may be possible to find and retro-fit an ABS module that does not have the VSA. Furthermore, if there is some way to "transform" the ABS/VSA into an ABS-only, that fully meets the factory ABS-only system, that could be another way of doing it. But to do the latter, one would have to get another ABS/VSA module, and an ABS-only module (both for the car in question), and look at the differences.

If you fit a none vsa module I don't think it "should" pass an mot test. In cars equipped with vsa the tester is supposed to press the vsa button to ensure the ! light illuminates. This proves the bulbs haven't been removed (in the case of a car with vsa fault in attempt to fool the tester). This info will be available to the tester in a print out pre test when he enters your reg. ABS was an extra (rare) in early discoverys, and I've known one fail test due to the light not coming on with ignition (bulb removed), despite no other signs of ABS being present (none abs axles fitted etc).

that's correct, I found a link to a gov mot website , posted in another thread on the same subject --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23411-wheel-sensors-my-experience-of-drilling-out/?p=243743

But the point is that since VSA was an option (on some 7th gen Accords), then logically it should be possible to remove that option retrospectively, and I wouldn't be so sure that the MOT printout will always mention VSA (because it was an option on 7th gen Accords).

I guess it depends on how the VSA option was fitted in the factory, I can't see how VIN would get to that level of detail.

As I said in my reply, ABS was a very rare extra fitted to the early discovery, but because the info is given to the tester before he/she looks at the car, they know what to look for. The car I am referring to had ABS factory fitted, and at the time of manufacture was not common but the tester picked up on it. It's just the way it works. I suppose if an option is listed as a "safety" measure when originally sold it must therefore be present to pass MOT. The same garage passed my old Capri at a similar time which had no rear seat belts. Crazy.

In terms of being a driver-aid, ABS is very different from VSA.

ABS offers a driver the ability to brake hard and still steer the car normally (not same as cadence braking) and so it is a safety aid in all situations. Hence there never was an ABS OFF switch, and AFAIK it was always part of the MOT.

VSA (at least on FWD) does not offer a driver something that they cannot do if they are experienced enough, hence there is a VSA OFF switch. Also, VSA (aka ESC), was not part of the MOT until 2013, even though it had been on some cars for a good 10 years. Note also that the OP in the other thread took his car for an MOT and got an advisory, even though it should not have passed (according to that gov link that I put in that same other thread).

The only reason (that I can think of) as to why it is now an MOT fail, is because one does not know what failure-mode may present itself when it is faulty. Now, since VSA is an optional aid, and since it can be switched off, I don't think that, if it was properly removed in every respect, an MOT test station would know whether it was ever there in the first place.

I agree with you mate, but I read somewhere that the test procedure on vsa equipped vehicles is to press the button to make sure the ! light illuminates. I think your final point makes a lot of sense. The faulty component may cause adverse effects.