What's new

VSA

relaxer7

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDi
Hi everyone

This is probably a familiar story by now but I have a couple of specific questions that I can’t find the answers to in the threads I’ve read on this subject. Hoping somebody can help!

Here are the facts:
I have a facelift 2006 2.2 cdti with VSA
The VSA and ABS lights are on (triangle and exclamation mark and VSA + ABS)
I’ve had a rear passenger side sensor diagnosed as faulty
I’ve replaced the sensor and the ABS light is off. All of the other VSA lights are still on
It’s been on a better diagnostic machine (brand new Snap-on top of the range I’m told) this morning and new code came back relating to a pressure sensor (or switch, I can’t remember).
My mechanic rang the Honda main dealer and was quoted a new ABS pump / modulator at £1800
The serial number on my ABS pump / modulator is 57110-sef-e610-m1

Questions:
After laughing then crying at the £1800 dealer quote for the part I’ve started looking on ebay and seen a few for about £250 but…
What will work? Does the serial number need to be exactly the same or will the ECU accept something close (like the one I’m watching from a 2005 model 57110-seg-e541-m1). What’s the difference between seg / sef?
As my car is a 2006 model (I believe these were the first to be fitted with VSA) do I need at least a 2006 part to take care of the VSA light?
Or… will any 2.2 cdti part work?

Thanks in advance,
Rich.

Hi Richard was the code of the fault 66.1?
If so then its the VSA unit gone im afraid.The new unit has now been modified so if you buy a second hand one this might go again.
There is a company now that can repair the unit at the fraction of the cost its on the forum somewhere i will look.

Your car was not the first to have vsa fitted, and I'd imagine yes, you would need to stick with a similar vsa unit. Did you ring Honda UK and ask them about the price? Give out stink on their bookface page and see if they can't do something for you as that will be seen by everyone B)

Why don't you get your unit repaired, other members on here have. About £200-£250 to have it repaired and delivered if memory serves me correct.

As Matt said have a search there is a place posted hear that repairs the unit.

Thanks guys

Not sure what the code was, I asked the guy to write it down for me and he didn’t. He said the code was to do with the pressure sensor in the ABS module and when he rang Honda they advised a new ABS pump / modulator at over £1500.

Repair isn’t really an option as a can’t have the car off the road that long. My thoughts were to buy a second hand unit and fit it. If it didn’t work then send mine to ecutesting.com for repair, swap them back over and send the broken one back.

I’m aware that the units were modified / upgraded to part numbers:

57110-S6E-G51
57110-S9A-961
57110-S9A-G01
57110-SEF-E56
57110-SEG-E55
57110-SKN-G01
57110-SEG-E61
57110-SEF-E61

My current unit appears to be an upgraded version (57110-SEF-E610-M1) and it’s still knackered!!

After more fleabay trawling I’m considering a £220 2005 unit (57110-SEG-E55). Again, this looks to be an upgraded unit and is the closest match to the one I have now.

Guess my question are… ***uming the unit works as it should…

- Will it cause any issues fitting it?
- Will the ECU accept it?
- Is a 2005 unit OK to fit to a 2006 facelift model?

I’ve now spoken to Lee Powell from Holcroft Honda. He reckons the parts aren’t interchangeable and I need the exact same unit for the bargain price of £1541.

Can anyone confirm this?

I would say go with Lee on this.
The VSA unit has its own ECU I think so will have yo be compatible

57110-SEF-E610-M1 is not an upgraded part. It's the same number as the one on mine, which is original, and contains the defective sensor.

As Matt said if you replace with this part it's possible it will fail again.
The only way to be sure of no more problems is get the modified unit.

Who told you part number 57110-SEF-E610-M1 was a revised one?

There are around 10 models of the original unit which all contain the faulty sensor. You need to be very certain of which are and aren't upgraded units.

Who told you part number 57110-SEF-E610-M1 was a revised one?

There are around 10 models of the original unit which all contain the faulty sensor. You need to be very certain of which are and aren't upgraded units.

There was a list of upgraded parts somewhere in the 20 page thread I read 57110-SEF-E610-M1 was in that list.... As far as I can tell 57110-SEF-E610-M1 is the orginal unit on mine (I've had it since 40,000 miles and have reciepts for everything prior to that!). Anybody know what 57110-SEF-E610-M1 was upgraded to then? :huh:

Maybe worth considering getting the module repaired and a cheap hire car for the duration of the repair, odds on you'll save yourself at least half the cost.

Otherwise it's go the whole hog and get the revised part.

Incidentally what is the mileage on the car ?

Maybe worth considering getting the module repaired and a cheap hire car for the duration of the repair, odds on you'll save yourself at least half the cost.

Otherwise it's go the whole hog and get the revised part.

Incidentally what is the mileage on the car ?

Its got 102,000 on the clock - the part went at about 98,000. There seems to be a few parts in scrapyards (I'm using 247spare.co.uk) but non that match mine yet. Guess its a waiting game. Prices range from £250 - £400 at the moment.

Finally found an ABS module with the exact serial number as mine. I've had it fitted and guess what.... VSA light still on

The guy I bought i from swears it was all tested and working before he sent it. Is it possible that it needs recalibrating via the ECU in some way??

Finally found an ABS module with the exact serial number as mine. I've had it fitted and guess what.... VSA light still on

The guy I bought i from swears it was all tested and working before he sent it. Is it possible that it needs recalibrating via the ECU in some way??

I have an 06 I-CDTI, had the ABS / VSA fault as widely reported on this site. Sent the unit to ECU Testing, which was duly repaired and sent back. On installing the VSA letters were now exringuished but the orange triangle was still lit. (Local garage couldn't reset faults) As mot time was approaching took the car down to the nearest Honda dealer (Inverness) the sensors were 'calibrated', faults cleared and the orange triangle remains 'off' other than during start up

so unless you havve the correct diagnostics.....................................

Just about to go down a similar path and deciding whether to take the car off the road and get the unit repaired or buy another unit... did you get yours working in the end?

Any suggestions as to what a reasonable price would be for a mechanic to remove the unit and put it back in again after I have it fixed?

Honda quoted me about £200-225 for removal and fitment of a unit .

Have you located a replacement VSA or is it strip and send off to BBA -remac or ECU testing.org.

Stroke of luck today got a possible VSA for £395 off the shelf includes VAT+ delivery

Honda quoted me about £200-225 for removal and fitment of a unit .

Have you located a replacement VSA or is it strip and send off to BBA -remac or ECU testing.org.

Stroke of luck today got a possible VSA for £395 off the shelf includes VAT+ delivery
Having read through all the pages here, my plan is to remove it, send to ecu testing then reinstall, and if fault codes are showing then go to Honda dealer and ask for them to reset it...