What's new

VSS – when it doesn't help

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
It's been a long time since i wrote anything tech so here is something i was thinking about....the VSS system or to the uninitiated Vehicle Stability System.

Brief background..The system on the Honda accord senses when the wheels are slipping and then applies the appropriate braking to get traction back. sounds all well EXCEPT there are some slipping conditions where VSS does not help.

VSS is great when you are travelling in a straight line..or a relatively curvey corner where the wheel brakes traction and begins to wheel spin...The VSS wil sense this and correct accordingly..however think of this scenario....

you are going round a roundabout and the car begins to slip sideways ...VSS CAN NOT sense this as the computer sees that the wheels are still spinning at roughly the same RPM...in this sort of scenario the simplest thing YOU CAN DO is to LIFT OFF the accelerator and steer into the slide and hope to regain traction...
DO NOT correct more as you'll make things worse..yes i know it sounds daft and
DO NOT try to power through it....you'll slip more...

The moral really is be warey of what you can and can't do with modern tech and BUY DECENT TYRES! preaching over ;)