What's new

VTC Actuator Problem?

strockus said:
The only reason I feel like it might not be the tensioner is because if it was presumably it would rattle on every start up but it only rattles when the oil is out of the engine which is after the car stands for 6 or so hours. That is just an ***umption though as I am not a mechanic.
Well as described in #4 there's a spring in the tensioner to supply tension when the oil pressure is not there at startup, and if the spring has gone weak, then there's no tension at startup.

I don't think it's possible to tell the difference between the two types of rattle from the driver's seat, you need to stand at the chain/cam end of the engine when the car is started, from what I can hear in the youtube VTC videos , the VTC noise is louder.

freddofrog said:
Well as described in #4 there's a spring in the tensioner to supply tension when the oil pressure is not there at startup, and if the spring has gone weak, then there's no tension at startup.

I don't think it's possible to tell the difference between the two types of rattle from the driver's seat, you need to stand at the chain/cam end of the engine when the car is started, from what I can hear in the youtube VTC videos , the VTC noise is louder.
I tried to take the video yesterday but the engine startup sound was loader than the rattle itself so couldn't really record it properly. I will try again today.

strockus said:
I tried to take the video yesterday but the engine startup sound was loader than the rattle itself so couldn't really record it properly. I will try again today.
ok, but that's what makes me think it's chain rattle

FYI parts prices, new tensioner would be a good idea if having the VTC replaced anyway, and tensioner is an easy job on its own.

7 14310-RBB-003 ACTUATOR ***Y., VTC (46T) £188.74

8 14401-PPA-004 CHAIN (176L) (BORG WARNER) £127.49

9 14510-PRB-A01 TENSIONER ***Y., CAM CHAIN £101.03

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17SED01&block_02=E__1100&block_03=529&block_05=hcr

Tensioner £70 including delivery --> https://h-tune.co.uk/genuine-honda-cam-timing-chain-tensioner-k-series/

freddofrog said:
ok, but that's what makes me think it's chain rattle

FYI parts prices, new tensioner would be a good idea if having the VTC replaced anyway, and tensioner is an easy job on its own.

7 14310-RBB-003 ACTUATOR ***Y., VTC (46T) £188.74

8 14401-PPA-004 CHAIN (176L) (BORG WARNER) £127.49

9 14510-PRB-A01 TENSIONER ***Y., CAM CHAIN £101.03

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17SED01&block_02=E__1100&block_03=529&block_05=hcr

Tensioner £70 including delivery --> https://h-tune.co.uk/genuine-honda-cam-timing-chain-tensioner-k-series/
Thanks for this! You put the chain in the list as well. Is that something that needs to be changed if the actuator or the tensioner is changed or is it something that is not mandatory?

It will have to be timed up again anyway so if the cost isnt too much then i would recommend changing it as a precautionary measure. they arent known for failing from my research but the best maintenance is preventative maintenance

Richardc9052 said:
It will have to be timed up again anyway so if the cost isnt too much then i would recommend changing it as a precautionary measure. they arent known for failing from my research but the best maintenance is preventative maintenance
Thanks for the info buddy!

Yes chains stretch over time anyway, and if the noise is not the tensioner and not the VTC then it's a stretched chain.

But chain tensioner is the easiest part to change first.

freddofrog said:
Yes chains stretch over time anyway, and if the noise is not the tensioner and not the VTC then it's a stretched chain.

But chain tensioner is the easiest part to change first.
Here is an example of chain stretch (on a Honda N22A engine)
SxGjeJy.jpg

Chain tensioner for the above chain
mTnzMvD.jpg

freddofrog said:
Here is an example of chain stretch (on a Honda N22A engine)
SxGjeJy.jpg

Chain tensioner for the above chain
mTnzMvD.jpg
Cheers mate. I will start from the chain tensioner and will see if anything changes from there. I'll get the guy to have a look at the chain as well to see how bad it is.

The state of the chain can be accurately ***essed by how far the tensioner has extended to take up the slack. I can't give you figures for your model, but an experienced mechanic should know (that's my car in the pictures above, but it's a diesel).

Jon_G said:
(that's my car in the pictures above, but it's a diesel).
yep I managed to get them out of your thread and into an Imgur account that I've started, I was going to say so but I forgot

Thanks guys. As I said I'll get the tensioner changed first and I'll ask the mechanic to let me know how bad the chain is. If it needs changing then I'll do the necessary. I'll let you know if the rattle goes away after the tensioner is replaced so if anyone stumble across this thread can see.

Just an update, I will be getting the whole chain replaced with the tensioner as well as the VTC actuator and the tensioner on the 20th this month. Will post an update to let you guys know if it solved the issue.

So finally got my car back on Monday and it seems like the rattle is completely gone. The mechanic said that the chain was in a bad shape and might have been what caused the rattle. Had the whole chain with the guides changed, the vtc actuator and the vvt valve as it broke off so could have been any of those things I guess. Hopefully this helps someone in some way!