What's new

Walnut/Grandad Trim Upgrade

dave0922

Members
Reaction score
Car
99 Accord ES, F18B2
Hi All,

As I said in another thread, I had ordered some adhesive carbon fibre with the intention of getting rid of the grandad style walnut effect trim that is around the accord. So I thought I would start a new thread for those who may be interested.

Its early days yet and have only managed to do the centre console for the moment as the door trims require me to take the door panels off to do the job properly. I will probably get round to the doors this weekend.

For now though here is a before and after of the centre console. The pic of after was shot in the dark so I will take a daylight pic tommorow.

:Before:
IMAG0019.jpg

After:
IMAG0579.jpg

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but I hate the wood!

Thats a really good job there Dave i like it

The stuff I got was on eBay on special offer. I got a 1500 x 600 roll for £9.99 with free postage. Its really good stuff and is very forgiving when applying. Apply cold, then heat it up with hairdryer for a good bond!

tis much better, also i didnt know they changed the rev counter, to accommodate the auto dials.

good work keep it up

also i didnt know they changed the rev counter, to accommodate the auto dials.

Yes, they had to do this because of the tiptronic function which means you need to see revs because you are in control of the gears. If it was plain and simple auto they probably would not have bothered with a rev counter as it is useless practically!

I am trying to find a dial set in white, I know they exist for the auto's but are as rare as rocking horse s***.

Good job man well done
Personally I prefer the grandad look ive just bought a flat cap for the parcel shelf to add to the sleeper look next will be the tartan rug

Very impressed that you also did the bit of plastic under the actual shifter gate. That is something I would not have thought of doing. I don't like the wood in mine either, but the car is not a long term keeper so I just put up with it for now.

I am trying to find a dial set in white, I know they exist for the auto's but are as rare as rocking horse s***.

Type-V dials are white, and most of them seem to have auto 'boxes. I'm sure I saw a crashed Type-V on Ebay recently, they might be breaking it. Worth a look...

Type-V dials are white, and most of them seem to have auto 'boxes. I'm sure I saw a crashed Type-V on Ebay recently, they might be breaking it. Worth a look...

Yeah I think I saw it. The only trouble is geting the miliage done (not cheap). I would like to find one that is pretty close to my miliage though technically it is not legal to do.

Thanks for the comments so far Guys! Have just completed the trim above the glove box, damn that was a pig to get out. The whole glove box has to be removed in order to get at the three screws that hold the trim in place! I am seriously considering getting a new pollen filter tommorow and fitting it before I put it all back together. Those **** certainly know how to construct a car, everything is just so secure and tight fitted!

More photos to come tommorow!

I sold a white dial unit from a type-v auto a few months back and the mileage issue did concern me, but the customer reported to me it came up with the genuine mileage of his car so it must be stored in the ECU and my mates range rover was the same when he replaced his faulty Speedo?

Stu'

Now that sounds promising. My previous car, Mondeo TDCI (MISS THE ECONOMY LOL) did not do that, the mileage was stored in the clocks so was a complete pain when mine failed (typical ford) but managed to find one after 4 months of searching that was only around 2000 miles out.

Well got one door panel done today and ran out of time! So tommorow I will go the whole hog and finish the lot, then I will post all the pics for you to see!

Ok, good day today and got it all finished. Good allround job I think.

To anybody wanting to do this themselves, there are a few things to be aware of. The glove box has to be removed to get the top trim out, this requires some patience as there is a lot to remove before access to the trim. There is a crossbar behind the large plastic panel that needs to come out but be aware that there are upright screws that go into the glovebox attached to the crossbar. The glovebox door has to be removed as it is also screwed in through the cross bar.

The door panels are fairly easy to remove but be gentle when pulling as there is a series of push clips all around the panel. You will need to remove the door handles and the electric window/mirror switches prior to trying to remove the panels and also in the front you will have to remove the black corner inserts that cover the mirrors.

When you have the door panels off, its then time to remove the wood trims. These are held in place with circlips and are a pain to remove, these will need replacing if you cand find any or you could do what I did and weld the plastic lugs to the back of the trim.

Anyway, here are the results:

The Motor:
IMAG0597.jpg

Front Interior:
IMAG0591.jpg

IMAG0594.jpg

Doors:
IMAG0590.jpg

IMAG0595.jpg

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0593.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Yes, I did have a think about it but I think it will be overkill really. I like what I have done as it is subtle and if you didnt know it was supposed to be walnut trim you would think it was factory fitted.

hi there lovely job, i did this on my gear surround early last year and the only bit that has come loose is on the inner corner of the gear gatter, the left corner has lifted :( but its really not noticeable unless ya look for it (but sadly i do everytime i get in the car,lol) like redtwin i didnt think to do under the plastic, it looks very cool, i was gonna do the dial surround but as id used 3M carbon fibre vinyl i couldnt afford a bigger roll,lol, i also did my ashtray, will try to post a pic as it looks good to and all the cuts are hidden inside the tray its self, top job chap

To anybody wanting to do this themselves, there are a few things to be aware of. The glove box has to be removed to get the top trim out, this requires some patience as there is a lot to remove before access to the trim. There is a crossbar behind the large plastic panel that needs to come out but be aware that there are upright screws that go into the glovebox attached to the crossbar. The glovebox door has to be removed as it is also screwed in through the cross bar.

The door panels are fairly easy to remove but be gentle when pulling as there is a series of push clips all around the panel. You will need to remove the door handles and the electric window/mirror switches prior to trying to remove the panels and also in the front you will have to remove the black corner inserts that cover the mirrors.

When you have the door panels off, its then time to remove the wood trims. These are held in place with circlips and are a pain to remove, these will need replacing if you cand find any or you could do what I did and weld the plastic lugs to the back of the trim.

The Motor:
IMAG0597.jpg

Front Interior:
IMAG0591.jpg

IMAG0594.jpg

Doors:
IMAG0590.jpg

IMAG0595.jpg

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0593.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Sorry to hijack your thread. Is that an after market radio and if so did you take out a Bose radio/cassette and if so is it surplus. Thx.

Sorry to hijack your thread. Is that an after market radio and if so did you take out a Bose radio/cassette and if so is it surplus. Thx.

I have also replaced the radio from my accord, but I guess its not a Bose unit. IIRC, its a pioneer...

Hi Mate, sorry but it went ages ago, to the tip! It blew somthing (not a fuse) and would not power up anymore.

Dave this is brilliant mate! looks very professional and gives your car a much more sportier look! well done!

where did you get this stuff from? do you have a link mate?

Dave this is brilliant mate! looks very professional and gives your car a much more sportier look! well done!

where did you get this stuff from? do you have a link mate?

Hi mate, here is the link to the offer I had: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200580608524

I thought it was really good stuff and very forgiving as long as you dont over stretch it. Has been on for about 4 weeks now and with the high heat from this weather and been left in direct sunlight, it has not bubbled or warped one bit.

The Motor:
IMAG0597.jpg

Front Interior:
IMAG0591.jpg

IMAG0594.jpg

Doors:
IMAG0590.jpg

IMAG0595.jpg

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0593.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Excellent job, Dave. Very impressive and a big improvement I think. :)