What's new

Wandering steering

vile

T A Terminator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
8th gen 2.4 Manual
Guys about 3 weeks ago i had a service from HH and to my horror my 2 rear tyres were badly worn on the inside.
On the way home i took the car for a 4 Wheel alignment on a hunter and the toe front and back was a long way out hence the uneven wear.
After this was done the car drove like when i 1st brought it even with still uneven tyres on the back.
So all you guys including 7th gen if you get the wandering steering wheel it proves how much the alignment on these cars really effect the drive.
My advice as i will be doing myself is adding an alignment to my service plan every 12 months.

scan0002.jpg

Guys this is the before and after results.As you will see the rear camber is still out/ as like the 7th gen there are no adjustments.
I emailed this to HH and they said keep an eye on the tyres but thinks this will be ok and not cause any uneven wear.

Good to hear its all sorted bro, I think getting the wheels aligned should be done with every service on the accord just to just to make sure all is well, :)

I've just joined this group and I am interested to see this topic pinned at the start. I've been convinced that there is something odd about the steering since soon after I bought my 2.0 EX new in 2009. The dealer, after a couple of complaints about it, sent their service manager out in the car with me but he spent the whole trip telling me that I did not know what I was talking about; they did, however, reluctantly carry out a wheel alignment to set the toe-in to the limit of the tolerance just to gt rid of me. This did, in fact, improve things - but only for a while. When the next service was carried out, at a different dealer, their investigation stopped short when they discovered a slow puncture in one front tyre. Some time later there was another puncture due to a large screw which entered the main tread at too shallow an angle for a repair. I then replaced both Yokohama front tyres with Vredesteins and there was an immediate improvement in the wandering effect and an even more dramatic reduction in road noise, thank goodness (the high level of road noise has been a big disappointment to me, as this would otherwise be a very refined car, even compared to my previous Jaguar S-type). I remain convinced that there is something awry with the steering operation and may yet try to get another dealer to check it out, maybe when I've saved up for another pair of Vredestein tyres!

Just go to an independent with a hunter/ dealers from what I'm awear don't have this alignment machine

Thanks for your advice Brett,

You can see on my Yoko post - the front Toe on my 8th gen was out 8' and there was significant inside edge wear on the fronts.

The Hunter is a neat bit of kit - I wonder why Honda doesn't invest - I wonder how many other Accords with uneven tyres are wandering around out there?

Mine feels much more stable so it was £35 well spent as far as I'm concerned ...

Take Care - matey

hi ive a 2.4 accord which wanders and it scrubs the rear tyres on the inside edge would it be worth getting a 4 wheel alignment done ? as the rear camber is not adjustable as far as i know ?? ive done the compliance bushers on the front aswell

hi ive a 2.4 accord which wanders and it scrubs the rear tyres on the inside edge would it be worth getting a 4 wheel alignment done ? as the rear camber is not adjustable as far as i know ?? ive done the compliance bushers on the front aswell
You might want to consider buying an adjustable rear camber kit, then get a 4 wheel alignment done.

I walked away from buying an Accord because the main Honda dealer refused to acknowledge or repair the issue of the rear tyres wearing on one edge.
Difficult issue to detect, expensive (i guess) to fix properly.

Good luck with yours