What's new

Warm Startup issue

Pedro@Barbosa

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord VII CL9
Hey guys !

The car is a CL9 from 2003.

Lately when I start the car a few minutes after it has warmed up, the rpms look a bit unstable for a few seconds and then gets back to normal. Sometimes it seems like it's going down, but never shuts down. Every now and then it's difficult to start the engine. Note that this is only when the engine is warm.

I have been told that it could be a bad ECT sensor, bad PCV valve or something related with leaking injectors.

Not sure if it relates to the problem or not, when I'm driving at like 50 and floor it, the alternator light blinks once and very rapidly. Maybe the aux belt is slipping in the alternator pulley?

After that, the car drives fine, love it!

Hope you can help me.

Thanks!

If the belts slipping it will squeel.First things i would check are spark plugs,PCV valve,air intake sensor and throttle body.
When i bought my CL7 it had a slightly erratic idle...new plugs and a deep clean of throttle body and PCV cured it.
Has driven smoothly ever since!

If the belts slipping it will squeel.First things i would check are spark plugs,PCV valve,air intake sensor and throttle body.
When i bought my CL7 it had a slightly erratic idle...new plugs and a deep clean of throttle body and PCV cured it.
Has driven smoothly ever since!

Were you experiencing it only when the engine was hot ?

Didn't know it would squeal if that happened. Always learning :)

Yes, I have thought of that. Spark plugs are fairly new, maybe less than an year. The PCV valve and all the intake scenario might be hiding something. I guess it's the best option for now.

Thank you !

As i remember it was more noticeable when hot.The 2.0 warms up very fast so you dont get long to investigate cold engine issues.On mine the throttle body was a little dirty around the butterfly thus couldn't fully close.