What's new

Warming Up

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
I know the 2.2 Tourer is a diesel, which takes longer to warm up up anyway, and it's a large lump with a large oil capacity but mine is taking a good 20 mins of countryside driving to reach normal running temperature on the gauge during these cold mornings.

Wondered how this compared to other people?

Is it normal or should I be looking for issues that could be affecting this?

Does this engine suffer from any thermostat issues?

Thermally efficient engines will always take a long time to reach operating temperature. How does the car work in summer half the time to heat up?
Part of the reason that Honda fitted a heatpump to the diesel is that it does warm slowly in winter. Heated seats and the heat pump work to make that period at least tolerable.
I'll time mine tomorrow to see how long it takes to halfway, there was a frost last night and I left it idle for 5 mins before moving off so I'll take that into account.

About 15 minutes in the usual stop/start town driving. This steed has about 154k on the clock

The water system was emptied/flushed x 2 and refilled just over a year ago with bright orange antifreeze, topped up twice and some scum is present in the expansion tank whenever I look so there is going to be a coating on the thermostat and some restriction elsewhere.

A lot of muck came out when I drained it, I'll do similar flushing next spring after a long run.

Idling a diesel is a bad idea, the bores will glaze and compression will be lost, start it and drive it, as you approach your destination drive a little slower to allow the turbo to cool down a bit, no need for a cooling off period either.

Bounder said:
Thermally efficient engines will always take a long time to reach operating temperature. How does the car work in summer half the time to heat up?
Part of the reason that Honda fitted a heatpump to the diesel is that it does warm slowly in winter. Heated seats and the heat pump work to make that period at least tolerable.
I'll time mine tomorrow to see how long it takes to halfway, there was a frost last night and I left it idle for 5 mins before moving off so I'll take that into account.
You got any more details of how the heat pump works?

Mine took 6 miles and 9 minutes to get to operating temperature or the point on the temp gauge that it won't move any further.
12°C ambient temp.

I also did a check this morning, though it was not particularly cold.

Exactly five minutes from cold start (no idle) to get the needle off the stop, and then another four minutes to reach the usual point, about three mm to the left of the thermometer in the middle. This was urban btw with a quick stint in the last two minutes at 50mph.

Hope it helps.

9 minutes sounds like its around the same time exactly, my drive is 50kph for the first mile then 80kph for the rest.
@Graham
I wonder if the thermostat is sticking open , have you ever done a coolant change? not particularly hard to do and the genuine coolant isn't that expensive either.
If you are planning on buying another brand then one that is equivalent to JIS K 2234 and you should be fine, not all coolants are the same in terms of how they perform.

Bounder said:
9 minutes sounds like its around the same time exactly, my drive is 50kph for the first mile then 80kph for the rest.
@Graham
I wonder if the thermostat is sticking open , have you ever done a coolant change? not particularly hard to do and the genuine coolant isn't that expensive either.
If you are planning on buying another brand then one that is equivalent to JIS K 2234 and you should be fine, not all coolants are the same in terms of how they perform.
Yeah I think I need to do at least a coolant drop and refill !

I have to do one as well, my ex manifold will come first though.

I timed mine.

Outside it was 5 degrees C.
Took 9 minutes for the gauge to move to the centre, mostly driving 30 to 40mph where suitable.