What's new

water in the boot, how i solved it

2lexec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda
having suffered water in the boot for a while, I now have it solved with what I have learnt from another forum for another make of car.
The rear seals on the light cluster were not doing their job or at least the near side was letting water in. Seals for my other car are about £15 each and I thought expensive but Honda want almost £80 as the seal comes with the light cluster. That's £160 for a pair
A hunt on the internet and I got 2 bits of closed cell neoprene for £15 inc postage. Used the old seal as a pattern and the wife cut a new seal. With the rain we have had these last couple of weeks very pleased to have a dry boot.

So if you want to do it, it is closed cell neoprene 270 x 190mm I used 6mm thick but wonder if 7 or 8mm would have been better

2lexec

One other point of note is the seal on the locating pin on the light cluster. This seems to be felt or some such material and perishes badly with age. As this is OUTSIDE of the rubber seal described above, water can get in to the boot if it's perished - did with mine. I just used sealant on mine and, with cleaning and 'rejuvenating' the original light cluster seals, managed to get a dry boot too! Huzzah!!!