What's new

Water Leak In Drivers Footwell

Tom Anderson

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi,

I am getting a water leak in the drivers foot well on a 2002 2.0i 5 door. It seems like rain water. It does not seem to be radiator coolant or air-con condenser water as the smell would give it away.

So far I have checked:

1) The sunroof drain pipes are clear. I have poured water from the sunroof and the water runs to the floor near the front wheel.

2) I have taken the plastic lower windscreen panel off. There was a small build-up of muck in the metal scuttle channel at the base of the windscreen which has been removed. There did not seem to be any prominent drain holes in this area.

Last nights rain has caused more water in the foot well. We are not talking of gallons but just wetting of the carpet?

Anybody got any ideas? Have read that it could be the sunroof drain pipe or the valve leaking, but as I said it is all running straight out.

I had a leak coming into the rear footwell.

It appears to have been the internal door seal/membrane that then allows water to leak in via the door card rather than out the door drain holes (4 on the back in the pic). I just taped up the door card temporally until I get the card off and reseal the membrane.

Check you lower door jambs to see if there is evidence of water breaching them, then tricking into footwell.

doorleak_zpsefb455ef.jpg

Hi Andy, and thanks for your reply.

I have been out and inspected at the bottom of the door trim, but no trace of water. What I also did was to use talcum powder and dust all of the plastic mouldings in that area, so if any water runs down I will see it. I then gave the car a thorough soaking in that part of the car for quite a while, but still nothing.

Any more ideas anyone?

I'm gonna be confident and say it's almost 100% rust on the bulkhead. Very common issue on 6G's (I've repaired at least 50 now, including my two!) especially as they get older. Water runs behind the strut tops and pools up where the inner arch joins the bulkhead, and eventually the rust eats through the firewall/seam thus letting water in. To check it, just peel back half the plastic arch liner towards the door and look at where the panels join. Check both sides!

Pass me on your email and I'll put up a picture for you.

Hi,

Yes that sounds like a possibilty.

If you could send the pics to (I'll jumble it up so the webots don't get the address):

Temp

@o2
.Co
.Uk

E-mail should be on its way now. If you don't mind, could you share the pictures here for the forum? I would do it myself but mobile internet is rubbish for uploading.

Edit: Says it failed due to the 02 servers rejecting it. Do you have another email address?

No, Just o2 I'm afraid.

I'll go and see if I can pull the cover you said about and take some pics when I have time.

Thanks anyway, you have given me something else to look for.

Nevermind, managed it. Hopefully this helps!

2011-10-07170104.jpg

2011-10-07170115.jpg

@Andy, is it me or does your rear doorcard appear to have no speaker cutout?

Good question lol....are there speakers on the non 'sport' models doors? Its certainly no mod that I have done :eek:

Also that rust looks bad, I have no leaks but I better check that out.

Good question lol....are there speakers on the non 'sport' models doors? Its certainly no mod that I have done :eek:

Also that rust looks bad, I have no leaks but I better check that out.

I've never seen rear doorcards on 6G's without speaker covers, it looks odd lol. I'm not sure why yours wouldn't have them, as my H22 swapped 6G startedlife as a Sport too (although pre-facelifts were called SE Sports) but mine has rear speaker covers...Maybe it was an option on the facelifts. Out of curiousity how many speakers does/should your car have?

As for the rust, it's deffo worth checking for the sake of 10 minutes. That picture above is from my H22, and amazingly it was the only rust on the car as the underneath is seriously clean as she was waxoyled from new and spent most of her life inland. Some of the ones I've repaired were much worse, especially coastal cars.

If you don't have rust, I would seriously reccomending chucking as much waxoyl behind the strut tops as you can! lol

I don't have a clue on how many speakers there should be, got me worried now lol.

I know this sounds a bit James May....but I like listening to the Honda engine when driving #sadman :lol:

Standard (or what I thought is standard lol!) is 4, one in each door.

BOSE option is one in each door again (only more powerful) and a Subwoofer in the boot.

BOSE Premier+ is a very rare option but not special. It's just the BOSE option with tweeters built onto the top dash vents.

I think I have found the leak.

I removed the screws (apart from the bottom one) from the shroud, looked inside with a torch and it looked quite ok.

However just inboard from the shroud (top of wheel in height) there is a little corroded split in the metal. I suspect this is where it may be leaking.

Anyway, made a temporary repair with the hot air dryer and some clear mastic, and fingers crossed until it can be done properly.

How do you post a picture from your computer on here? It asks for a URL if you do insert image.

The way I upload is by using an external host. I use Photobucket, it seem quite easy to use and more importantly find the URL (Flickr as an another example used to be a convoluted process, it might have changed)

So, create an account on Photobucket, load your images up there and then once loaded

Click the Direct link ( link back the URL from there to here)

Reply to your thread on here, Insert Image then simply Paste

bucketcopy_zps981fc22a.jpg

Hi
Nice job on fixing the leak! I have the same problem but put it down to been a torn drivers door seal with I will fix this summer.
Think I will also check the wheel arch for this too.

How best do u recommend to repair it?

Thanks Gordon