What's new

Waxoyl

Yep, I've done under both my Prelude and the Accord.

It's a good idea to jetwash under the car first, then give it a going over with a stiff brush to remove loose rust, caked-on mud and so on. Let it dry before applying waxoyl, or it won't stick. If cleaning caked-on stuff off with a diesely rag as I like to do, make sure all traces of it are cleaned off (white spirit or whatever) or again the waxoyl won't stick.

I paint waxoyl on rather than spraying it. Just leave the tin in a sink of hot water for a few minutes (repeat as necessary), pour a quantity into an old ice-cream tub, put on rubber gloves (or it'll take days and weeks to get it off your hands), get under the car and slap it on the bodywork. :) It may be an idea to remove sideskirts and such things - lets you check the condition of the body under there, and give it a coat as necessary. Use an old or cheap paintbrush - don't bother trying to clean it afterwards, just bin it. A 1.5 inch or 2 inch one is probably best.

The Prelude is notorious for rust around the rear arches, so I've given it a good thick coating inside the arches which seems to be just about holding the rust at bay.

As always, preparation is the key. Nice clean, dry surface will give good results.

I've done it for my fiancee's rusty Ford Ka 5 years ago, but I used spray and brush both.
Just had a quick look and the Honda quality seems very good, very little of rust can been seen at the usual spots, not bad for a 06 vehicle :)

I'm a big fan of Bilt Hamber products for this sort of thing, check them out if you haven't already - http://www.bilthamber.com/

I would clean everything, degrease it with Surfex, then treat rusty areas using Hydrate 80, then Dynax UB or S50 to protect everything.

Their Deox products are also awesome for removing rust on metal surfaces. I did this using the gel version on a previous car I had.

rust_before_02.jpg

detoxgel_before_01.jpg

detoxgel_grinded_03.jpg

Crappy DIY spray job but it helped the sill last a few more year. I also sprayed S50 into the cavity as well so it's protected inside.

sill_painted_02.jpg

Aye, ours wasn't bad underneath either (an 05), but I thought I might as well do it anyway - given the winter conditions in Aberdeenshire!

Even my everyday car (JDM 1993 Prelude with proper VTEC) was OK underneath, but I figured it was about time for some preventative maintenance.

Pretty much, you may need to do 2 or even 3 attempts as it dissolves the rust and it needs to be applied thick. I made the mistake with my first go of not putting enough on. Basically remove all the paint on the area and any flaky bits of rust, slap the gel on, cover it up and leave it for 24 hours then wash it off, repeat if needed. It won't remove 100% of it but it does work.

The black areas after using the gel is paint and I think I just used a small grinder to remove some of this. When I sprayed it I also made the mistake of not using a zinc based primer. The rust did slowly creep back and I'm sure this was part of the reason why but if I had left the sill it wouldn't of lasted much longer.

I have some photos at home of some bolts I used it on as well, that really shows how good this stuff is.