What's new

Weak start? 2002 2l VTEC

Matt_F

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord SE Exec
I've just picked up a 2002 SE Exec and noticed it's a little weak at starting. Thought it may just be because it's not been used for a bit, but I've done 35 miles in it and it still seems a little weak. I've checked the voltage of the battery and get 12.4v when the cars not running and 14.4 when it is running. So battery and alternator seem ok? The lights fade a little when starting so don't think it could be the starter. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance, Matt

How old is the battery? Can you get the battery load tested?

Check for good battery connections and a good earth connection at all points. Might be worth removing all points and cleaning fully with a bit of sandpaper.

Also check HT leads for signs of cracking or deterioration. Remove dizzy cap and clean all points with a bit of sandpaper/pocket screwdriver. Replace all spark plugs with NGK specified ones. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Saj, will check through the bits you've mentioned. Battery was new in 2010 so isn't too old. Will report back with how I get on. Thanks again.

you checked the earth leads?....there are quita a few tucked away, will do no harm replacing them even if they don't need it. plus it makes the bay look pretty :)

Battery to chassis
Alternator to fuse box
Fuse box to chassis (near passenger side suspension strut)
Engine block (I think) to chassis - easier to see when under the car

Rear earth point behind trim in boot on passenger side (might be able to get to it through removing bulb panel

There may well be more but I can't think of them

the one which broke on mine went from the battery plate to the gearbox I think?, I'll put some pictures up tomorrow if it does not rain.

Really appreciate all the help with this. Will have a nosy tomorrow and hopefully I can find something. Wouk be great to sort and have the car 100%.

Looked at a couple of earth points and one looks a little odd. It goes from the battery down to a bracket above the gearbox. Last few inches of wire are showing as bare strands and the strands aren't closely wound together. Sound like something that needs to be sorted? Its insulated higher up, it's just the last couple of inches.

To clean the other earth points shall I just disconnect the battery and clean the ends of the earth wires with some sand paper?

Yeah, mine is like that, and the copper has "corroded" and gone green. I have been advised to replace it.

Use the sandpaper to clean up the faces of the connectors and also where it actually makes contact with the chassis.

After putting it all back together again, it may be worth giving the area a light coating of vaseline or similar to stop the area going rusty (which will then hamper the current flow again and the whole process is repeated!)

please note that 2.0l (f20b6 engine) has low speed starter motor,
mine has run like the battery is almost dead since the first day (1999) :)

also have a civic ek3 (d15), and i've been always disappointed by the accord start because i (wrongly) thought they have similar engines.
so i searched on the web and i found it is due to the different type of electric motor. i don't remember where i've read, sorry.
i don't know about f18b2.

anyway good idea to check the wiring, but no way to speed up the starter

Thanks for that post, I had read something similar elsewhere but didn't think it would have the same effect as the problem I have. I've been driving the car round for most of the weekend and it's still starting, albeit weakly. Will go through the earth points and make sure they are all 100% and see if it helps at all.

Ideally you want none of the available voltage to be dropped across any of the wiring (but in practise there will be some) - if you're worried about the condition of an earthing strap, then connect a voltmeter (set to DC volts) to the metalwork adjacent to each end of that strap and get someone to operate the starter. If you see more than a volt or two, then the strap has too much resistance and you need to clean it up or replace it. Same thing goes for the heavy duty cable from the battery positive connection to the starter solenoid.

All sorted. Had a friend of a friend (who's a mechanic at a local garage) give the car a once over today. The battery was shot so a new one has been fitted. Starts fine now. Guess even though the volts looked ok when I tested, they weren't when under load such as when starting. Really pleased its sorted though! Will sort the earth wire that looked a little worse for wear as a precautionary measure for the future though.

Thanks again for everyone's help.